Sunday, December 09, 2007

Our Beijing Whirlwind tour

After waking up at 3:30am and after chatting with kids on IM, we headed out with our guide Rosa to see Tienanmen Square and The Forbidden City. We had an interesting taxi drive. Rosa and Dh were calm, but I was not sure we'd survive there a few times. I have learned just to close my eyes and miraculously we seem to avoid all collisions.

The square is HUUUUUGE and the architecture around it was breathtaking. I loved the statues and monuments (yes I have photos). I smiled at the countdown clock for the Olympics (got our photo made with it). Then we went on to The Forbidden City. We could literally have spent hours there, so interesting. Dh and I especially like historical places, and Dh is one of the plaque readers at all museums anyway, so he was enthralled. Our guides was great and explained everything she could of what we were seeing. Where the emporers lived, where their wives lived, and just imagining daily life in there was fascinating. Yes I have lots of photos. Just need to find time to get them downloaded.

It was very cold though, and the smog in Beijing was especially bad to me this day. As the climate is cold and dry I'm drying out. It reminds me a lot of Tucson's aridness. I think I'm having a bit of allergic reactions to the pollutants in the air as well (not sure which), but I start to cough and then feel like I'm choking so I start to gag...it's not a pretty site. I'm learning to carry something to drink with me at all times, have Halls drops to suck on, and walk as quickly as I can inside the building or to the bus.

Okay, after finishing our touring, we met up with the group at the church service and I had my first experience with squatty potties...I survived and I did not get my close wet at all. Major accomplishment right?

After we were all on the bus together we proceeded to the Jade factory and saw the most amazing jade carvings. We also spend a lot of money there, and the prices were not great but the jade jewelry was beautiful. We bought a bracelet for me to wear and then to pass on to Katie later. They are meant to be snug going on, and they measured the size of bracelet I needed according to my wrist. My hand is larger, and two bracelets they put on were a little small and I ended up with bruises from trying to get them off. They finally listened and got me a bigger one. I still can not get it off because the hand hurts too much. Oh well, it's gorgeous.

From the Jade factory we headed to lunch, which was also at the Cloisonnes Factory. Simply amazing to see how that is done. Lunch was great...shopping was fun (only got some beautiful silk fabric for someone back home and for myself). Lunch was really really great. Yummy.

Finally, on to the Great Wall. We were told "easy side or difficult side" and being the insane people we are...we did the difficult side with Lia's parents (see blog list to the right). We made it to the the big station at the top (but not the VERY top), so we are only "little heroes" at this point. I have many photos, and I hope they turn out as breathtaking as what we saw. I also have photos showing the sheer DROP off down the steps. I think the steps were more like a ladder and the steep inclines. Glad I am somewhat active normally so we could do it...even if I wanted to stop part way up. LOL

After the Great Wall, it was time for our Peking Duck Dinner. I was not hungry yet, but Dh said it was all yummy again.

Back to the hotel, up at 4am, catching the bus to the airport at 5:30, and I think our flight leaves around 7:30 to fly to Kunming and today we get Katie.

It's FINALLY Katie Day!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!! I'm so glad that you all are there and I can't wait to see pics of you with your beautiful little girl. Love you all!
Beth G.