No really he is. Katie will have nothing to do with me if given a choice. In fact she turns her head and refuses to look at me now. The first day she liked me, would stare at me, smile at me, etc. Tuesday she cried upon waking up, then attached to Dh. If I held her, she would cry unless I was walking around. I did a lot of walking around yesterday.
By the end of the day she was smiling at me and making faces at me...from Dh's lap. If he brought her close to me, she would cry. If Dh left the room (like to go to the bathroom) she would cry. It's not a true "I'm hurting cry." But more of a whine. Sort of like "I don't like you and I'm going to whine until I get my way." I am forcing her to spend some time in my arms, but I do not expect smiles or looks while she is there.
I know she was very attached to her foster Mom, so this is not surprising to me. Nor am I upset by it. Although the turning her head away from me sometimes hurts. I know she is angry with me because she misses her "Ma-mom" a lot. I'm trying to become her "Ma-mom" and she doesn't want to give me that affection yet. I have no doubt that she will, but for now, she's very angry with me.
She's slept a lot tonight, hopefully that will help her with the adjustments. She's also not drinking much (and yes, we tried a sippy type cup and an open top cup). She drank about 12 ounces total Tuesday, and the day we got her she did not drink anything for us. She's eating great though, so we are giving her as much congee as she will take (it's very liquidy).
Photos and posts will be a little slow as I'm trying to only get on the computer while she is sleeping so that I can be there to interact with her and hopefully make headway into being accepted. I was trying to be the one to do the feedings, but after her not drinking anything for almost 24 hours, we decided if Dh could get her to drink, then by all means he could give her the bottle. She will accept it from him. From me, she bats it away, shakes her head no, cries at me, and then reaches for Dh.
We went to a temple today, and then a tea ceremony. I carried Katie around the temple (she loves to be carried and be outside), and Dh had her in the van and the tea ceremony (we were sitting and she screams in my lap when I sit down). After that it was time for the room. Our guide had to take our adoption certificate back to Civil Affairs as it had a mistake on it (they forgot to put our nationality on it in Chinese...which is why I didn't catch it). Then, after they fixed that, the guide was REALLY studying it and found that they put us down as only having 1 child prior to Katie, so he had to take it back and fix that as well.
Lunch and dinner were on our own, so we decided as a group to eat Pizza Hut. Pizza has never tasted so incredibly good in my life! While we like the food here, after a few days I was craving something more normal to myself. We ate the Western Style buffet Monday night and it still had at least half Chinese dishes. Which was fine, but not quite what we were expecting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Carla,
Remember that Katie not wanting you is a good sign she was attached to her caregiver, which means she will eventually attach to you. While we were there, I did all the feeding, rocking, changing, etc.. and DH did all the playing. Lily Mei attached to both of us very quickly. Also, try the yogurt. It's the only thing Lily Mei would drink. We figured this out after 2 days of not eating anything! I never did get her to take the formula, but she loved the yogurt. It's liquid, so she should be able to take it from a bottle. I will keep you and sweet Katie in my prayers!
Monica
Carla,
Katie is beautiful. I'm sorry that she is having a hard time but be encouraged--it does get better. I laughed at your post about pizza. I remember that so well. McDonalds and Pizza Hut never tasted so good. However, by the end of the two weeks, I didn't want to see Pizza Hut or McDonalds again. AnnaLi was introduced to McDonald fries very early and still loves them to this day. I'll keep you guys in my prayers.
Shawna
Post a Comment