Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I can now complain.

Yes, internets, I'm allowed to complain now. I voted, so I have the right to complain about the people elected. That's my philosophy! If you don't vote, then you don't have the right to complain because you didn't make your voice heard.

We waited 1.5 hours on a crisp fall morning, with sunshine and good natured people all around. I was a wee bit concerned about the people and voting, and how crazy some could be. But everyone was happy, smiling, and chatting...with everyone around them. They smiled at Katie, the kids who were there played together, and I felt a sense of community with these strangers.

I wonder though how it would be if we had to divide into lines for presidential candidates instead of "A-L" and "M-Z" lines. I truly wish the division between the parties wasn't so horrid, and it seems to only get worse and worse. I wish I knew why, and I wish we could fix it. Our country is so incredible, so diverse. I love that we don't all think alike, or want the exact same things. How boring would it be if we all thought the same?

Of course, I wish more people thought like I did, and I hope the people I voted for today all win. But if they don't, I'll move on. I'll still respect those who were voted (at least the office they were voted into). I'll still be friends with those who voted differently than I did. I'll let my kids play with their kids.

I only wish I had had my t-shirt on that says "I'm Blogging This." But as I wasn't the only one taking photos (I just took photos of the kids, not the line), I didn't feel strange pulling out my camera.

The stroller? It was less than useful for corralling Katie.


The boys did GREAT standing in line, only complained every 5 minutes or so. No, really, they were fairly calm (it helped that gameboys came with us).



Did I mention the stroller wasn't very useful for corralling Katie?


The stroller was useful for something:


In honor of ELECTION DAY, and Katie's first time voting, she wore Red, White, and Blue. :) But alas her coat/jacket was pink. At least you can see the hair bow.


The best part though? Katie woke up with a nasty cold.

*sigh*

Week 3 of contaminated household.

4 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

I also had the same 90 min line. My children were amazingly calm today as well. I was quite surprised as I suppose I expected a meltdown;)
The awful thing is hubby went after me and had no wait!
I love your respect for everyone in this post. I am tired of blogs that say vote my way or your wrong.
I respect others views I thought that is part of being an American.
I too found it to be friendly there. I even started directing people (the teacher in me) which line because it as very confusing and I was warned by the Treasures to stop talking to strangers;)

Cheri said...

Although I did not have to wait as long as you I did have to do an emergence ballot due to a broken machine! They really need to get rid of those punch ballots.

Cindy said...

You're such a good mommy to include your kids in the process. Mine stayed in the car (with my 14 year old...AND it only took me 5 minutes to vote last week).

Amber Schmidt said...

Complain away... I sat in shock watching the results pour in...