Saturday, November 15, 2008

Enginerds in the making

If it weren't bad enough we've corrupted our kids with Monte Python at an early age, drug them over to the dark side of being Trekkies, totally immersed them in Sci-Fi shows like Stargate, and punish them by NOT taking them to Chess club. We had to drag them to see Dh's adviser for his master's degree (aka, mentor and adviser for that thesis).


We ran into him and 4 of his current students. Dr. A was doing the advising thing, and my kids? Oh it was quite interesting to see their reactions. The 4 students were working on their robot project. When it's completed I think Dh is going to take them to see it working completely. I know it's something they'll enjoy too.

Samuel was as close as Dh would let him get. He would move along with the robot, he excitedly ran up to the computer monitors to exclaim over what the robot was seeing, he yelled instructions to the operator (watch out! it's going to run into the wall), and he was entranced. Like, 100% enamored of this robot.


JM, he stood a bit further back, studying intently. He paid close attention to the details and remarked that when the controller told it to turn to the left it listed a little. Or something like that. He was, however, 100% enamored of the circuit board with the timer on it. He was intently gazing at it and following the circuits of it. He asked questions regarding it's use, why they had it out, did it go into the robot, was it really a timer? Here he is watching...he's out of focus because I was taking a photo of Dh and Dr. A.


Katie, well, Katie wasn't too sure about this robot thing that MOVED. This, I've been told, is not the final robot they will use. This is a testing platform to test a specific set of components (or at least that was what I got out of it). I followed it about as well as I follow Dh when he tries to explain what he does.

Right after this photo, the robot moved toward her (she was between it and the door, and the student didn't realize she was a wee bit unsure about it and made it go toward the door to test it out of his sight). As soon as it started moving toward her, she backed up. Then it advanced again, and she turned and ran toward me. I picked her up and she was crying a little (no tears kind of crying), and then she dove into Dh's arms. Where she proceeded to LAUGH.


BTW, just in case you were wondering, Dr. A didn't get that glazed look to his eyes that 95% of people get when Dh starts telling someone what he does and gives just a little too much technical jargon with it. Dr. A is a really smart man. One Dh needs to EMAIL! :) See, Dr. A, I'm trying.

The way we figure it, we have 2 Enginerds in the making and one girl who might not be into robots too much.

4 comments:

Nik said...

ROFL! That's AWESOME! I think our boys would get a kick out of it too.

These geeks...I tell you what, I don't know what to do with them.

Elizabeth Channel said...

So grand!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Monty Python... you HAVE to love them... they are so funny... though my fave is Michael Palin... take care


Sorry about the delay in visiting... I have been super busy with work etc...

Cindy said...

Hey Carla. We can add to that growing list of things we have in common, I think. Both of our husbands are in school for their masters.
I don't suppose you have a mole between toes 3 & 4 on your right foot? LOL.
I meant to email you back again about getting together sometime. I was going to mention that we'd love to come your way sometime, too. I mentioned to Leslie and Angela yesterday about a mini-reunion and they're excited about the idea.