Just wanted to clarify that. Adopted is a verb. It's a PAST tense verb as well. Meaning that it happened in the past and is not happening.
Katie is NOT my adopted daughter. She is my daughter who was adopted. It is something that happened in our past. It is not going on any longer (well, okay, we need to do the re-adoption to get a birth certificate from our state). When you (general you) are introducing, please do not say, "This is Katie their adopted daughter." Or "This is their adopted daughter Katie." Who really cares if she is adopted or not...she is our daughter. Plain and simple.
When asking a question of a group of people, please don't say, "Those of you with adopted kids." Instead, can you please say, "Those of you with kids who were adopted." Or "Those of you who adopted your kids." It's a small thing, and it may seem petty to you. But it's part of the thousand cuts that build up and can really hurt someone.
So, ADOPT is a verb. ADOPTION is a noun. There is not an adjective for adoption, unless of course you want to use BEAUTIFUL. That one, yes, I think that is the best adjective for adoption and our children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I can't say as I know which way I would have said that, but THANK YOU for showing us the correct way. When you point it out I can see a HUGE difference and am glad to be able to do it right.
Thanks for posting this. I didn't ever think of that. I don't know if I have ever said adopted as an adjective. If I ever have I apologize to anyone I might have offended by that :). Great post!!
You are right!!
Thanks for the heads-up.
Hmmm....so tell me, what happened?
Hugs,
Carla
I can't tell you how much this also irritates me!!! I absolutely hate it when I hear it on TV, they way they will talk about someones "Adopted daughter or son", it just gets to me. My kids are MY kids, not my adopted kids. I love this post!!!!
K
Post a Comment