Wednesday, November 05, 2008

History.

Yes, History was made last night. We elected a minority to be president, and I am very glad I was alive to see it. I'm glad my children will grow up in a country where racial issues are hopefully declining.

Did I vote for him? If you know me, you know the answer. :) We'll leave it at that. I don't want my political views to be front and center on this blog, mainly because who is president does not really change my day to day life. At least not right now. The sun still rises, I still have to feed my kids, homeschool my kids, and clean the house. What does concern me a little more are the Senate and Congressional races. Legislation is made in Congress, especially legislation that pertains to economics. If the Senate and Congress have more than 2/3 majority, then they can pretty much push through any legislation they would like. To me, that is way too much power for one party to have (and I would believe that if the Republicans had the super-majority). There are too many viewpoints and opinions about certain topics for sweeping legislation to just be able to be passed without a thorough look.

What I find appalling, however, is all the talk on Facebook and on blogs from people from both sides. I felt this way after the last 3 presidential elections as well. The gloating from the winning side, the whining and complaining from the losing side. Yes, I remember it from Clinton's 2nd term and I remember it from both of Bush's terms. I see it, and my opinions of people are changed because I feel like their true characters are showing. I don't mind the "I'm happy." or "I'm disappointed." It's the "OH MY GOSH I can't believe this is REAL and America's voice has finally been heard!!!" Or the "I'm so scared about what this means and we're going to just fall apart as a nation now." The "oh it was so unfair!" and stomping of feet (yes, this election and the 3 prior ones...Florida anyone? Bush/Kerry election where people were bemoaning "Shrub's" victory).

Look at the percentages of voters. Look at them. 46% voted for McCain, that's 46% of AMERICANS who feel like their viewpoints are not being represented now. It's not all of America who voted for Obama. I said this exact same thing, except for the percentage and name of Kerry last election. Put yourself in the other's shoes. If your side won...and you didn't vote for Bush, you remember how it felt. If your side lost this time, and you voted for Bush last time (or two), you know how THAT felt. Celebrating or complain quietly...and be respectful of how others are feeling.

Will our lives change, in a fundamental way? Not immediately. Yes, there are changes, but it's going to take Congress, Senate, and the President working together to bring that change. If they make sweeping changes that are 100% on the left side, the liberal side, then those changes are not reflecting what 46% of this country wants. Is that truly fair? Could 46% of the country be totally wrong, or could they have some right things to think about? Think about that.

I don't think politics are all black and white. I believe, truly, that in order for our country to change we are ALL going to need to work together to find solutions that we can all believe in. Both sides are going to have to compromise, and I'm sorry, but I don't see that happening easily at all.

tomorrow...tomorrow I promise to show off my Halloween cuties. Then on to rather boring day to day posts about how my life is going. 2.5 weeks until we move and I've only packed 5 boxes.

3 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Amen. And I surely hope I didn't fall into this category.

Jesse, James and Lindsey's mom said...

Wonderful wonderful post!!!
Kathy

LucisMomma said...

I agree with you! And like Tonggu Momma, I hope I'm not one of the whiners.

It was frightening to me to see on the news a Black Panther telling a news crew to get away from the polling place. (news crew was 10 ft away from the door, according to the law there, the BP was not.) He was certainly intimidating. Wish that pic made the front page of some newspaper. Why can't this country just get a grip?!

Behave, y'all!!