Saturday, October 18, 2008

Something unexpected from blogging

I started my online life many years ago, while TTC our first child. It's been over 10 years since I joined an online forum, and expanded my knowledge of people in all walks of life. But something that I've recently realized has come of this.

I have a new-found greater awareness of others. I share in complete stranger's joys and sorrows. I hurt for them like I do for my friends I see in real life. My heart leaps for joy when things are going great, and sometimes, I cry that great big ugly cry over the pain others go through.

An unexpected benefit to blogging has been to learn from all these women. I am in awe at the grace so many show during difficult times, the grace they show when a loved one dies from cancer, or when they themselves are facing a terminal illness. I am totally in awe.

After reading some blogs, I realize that our world is full of amazingly compassionate people. I realize, on a daily basis, what blessings I have in my life. What all I have to truly be thankful for. I realize, quite quickly sometimes, that my irritation with the kids being kids is truly pointless because these times are fleeting. I realize, as well, that I'm normal. That others have days where their kids irritate them, even while facing some significant changes in their lives. But the grace they show in all circumstances makes me want to be a better person.

I learn from these bloggers. I learn so many things, and I truly hope, that one day I am able to give back a portion of what I've gained just from being part of this world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right... It's probably one of the main reasons that I am so addicted to blogging and blog hopping!

Jody said...

I have learned a lot from the blog world myself. It's amazing what you can learn and understand just by reading someones thoughts.

BBB said...

Amen...

Amie said...

What a great post. Amen!

:)
Amie
www.heart-smiles.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post and it's all so true. I too have a community of moms/women which I belong to and it's amazing what we've all been through "together." The online community really does give you a wider view of the world and its inhabitants...

mommy24treasures said...

oh I totally agree, I truly did not know there were such kind people anymore. I have been very blessed from blogging.