No really, this time I really do. I give. I throw in that proverbial white towel. I'm DONE.
I admit that grocery shopping is NOT going to happen this evening. Which means I must become even more creative than I was tonight for food tomorrow. See, I've not been in about 2 weeks, and that trip was only supposed to "last us" for 1 week. Yes, that means 1 week of grocery shopping has now stretched into 2 weeks. I had planned to go on Labor Day, but well Dh ended up having to go into work. Which is what happened to all of last week as well. I thought FOR SURE I could manage to go on Tuesday (today). Nope. It's 7pm already and Dh is headed back to work. I refuse to take 3 kids with me to the store for a major grocery shopping expedition. BTDT. It's not pretty.
My reaction that is. The kids always look so cute while they misbehave. My visions of a blissful trip through grocery store with Katie sitting calmly in the shopping cart, quietly singing to herself or pointing out foods she recognizes...in which I can say "Yes, that's an Apple! It starts with an A, Katie" are not quite what happens. Neither are the other parts of the vision where JM is holding my list and helping me find the correct item and getting it marked off. Neither does Samuel walk calmly beside the cart putting items into that are handed to him, and then rearranging thing for "best fit" scenario. No, that isn't quite our reality. No "schooling" gets done in the grocery store.
What does happen is Katie screams her displeasure at being contained. I try to entertain her with commentary on foods we are purchasing, then resort to all out bribery - by way of the free cookie. Samuel is twirling around in circles, touching Katie which causes her to become even more irritated than normal, then starts play fighting with JM complete with Star Wars noises. I resort to bribery with him as well. JM complains that it is taking too long. He plays with Samuel. He begs for such treats as pop-tarts, fruit snacks, chocolate, cookies, then whines when I say no.
That's if everyone behaves in a good normal way. What normally happens is that we get these looks of "OH MY GOSH why can't she control her children?!"
So I give up. I'm not going to make it to the grocery store tonight. I doubt I get to go tomorrow either. Hopefully Thursday will be better...if not...we'll resort to eating pancakes for dinner!
One day soon Dh will be back to working normal hours and I can make it to the store in peace. Or I might brave the store for a QUICK run in for milk, bread, and cheese.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Goodness, Carla! Why can't you control those children of yours?!?!? I mean, I have only one child and those types of things totally never, ever happen to me. (Especially at Chic-Fil-A. Never there.)
I know you hear the sarcasm here, but I'm not sure your readers will. So... for the record... that was sarcasm, y'all. Total sarcasm.
(((HUGS))) I feel for you. I hope you can get to do your grocery shopping before having to resort to pancakes for dinner!!
Sounds like us at walmart on a good day!
We head to Redstone tomorrow to get new military ID cards, so we have a 75 mile trip *early* then wait for them to call our number (while Luci does flips off the chairs and the boys poke each other in this military office! and a soap opera is blaring on the TV), then run to the commissary for some groceries...then the 75 mile trip back home. Can you say "INSANE"? Because this is all without DH. He's never ever been to any of these offices with the kids, and if he *ever* did, he wouldn't ever do it again!!
PS to Jody--we have pancakes for supper once a week! Usually on Tuesdays. :) Really.
My children are perfect angels when I take them to the grocery store.
Did you know today is opposite day?
I don't know if it's as common in your area, but around here the grocery stores will delivery. You can order all your stuff online, set up a delivery window, and it'll show up at your doorstep.
I haven't done it in years, but have been sorely tempted on occasion. With three kids, I think it'd be worth the investment!
Post a Comment