You know, the home for months and attachment issues are still there. Home for years and noticing another attachment related issue. Home and having to go through doctor appointment after doctor appointment, finding out new things, ruling other things out. We never talk about how draining all of that can be. How difficult it is to continually go to multiple therapy appointments each week (or have them come into your home). How it's harder to do the therapy assignments, the "homework" if you will. How every time you play with your child it is therapy related play.
It's HARD. Yes, we do it. Yes we do it mostly without complaining. It's what parents do. But it's hard. It's hard to hear how someone newly home is easily adjusting with something you've struggled with. You feel jealous, then guilty for not being 100% happy for them. Then guilt for feeling jealous.
So much of our lives in the adoption process is judged by someone in relation to whether we would be good parents or not. It's hard to remember, that admitting we struggle with something doesn't mean we are not good parents. It means we are human. Heck, our reasons for adoption are even scrutinized greatly.
Why do we not feel comfortable talking about these things openly?
Now, I know I am extremely lucky in that Katie has not needed therapy. However, I have been through speech therapy with a child so I know the time involved in that. I've been through the process of getting diagnosis of medical things, and know how frustrating that can be. We, as parents and spouses, must be very proactive in what we do. We must do lots of research on our own, but tempered with the knowledge that we will surely find the worst case stuff. :) We are still dealing with some attachment issues, but thank goodness things are getting much better!
Another aspect that is hard, is the struggle of adding another child to the family dynamic. When you give birth, you have a "blob" of a baby who basically stays where you put them, is easily transported to places like church, ball games, etc. with minimal extra stuff. With adoption, especially international adoption, you incorporate an older baby. In our case, a toddler. Toddlers are not blobs. They are active. They have strong opinions. They needs lots of things to go to a ballgame - things like snacks, drinks, change of clothes, diapers, wipes, sunscreen, toys, strollers, blankets, and then some! Having a child who loves to play in toilets, getting 3 children dressed on Sunday morning...can be a recipe for disaster. I do not know how many times we've had to change Katie into a 2nd dress right before going out the door! The struggles with just day to day live, adjustments you have to make. We never talk about the realities of it all. We all know it's worth it, more than worth it...but no one ever talks about how tough just being a parent is.
For everyone out there who might still be reading, I'm not in a bad place or anything. I've been writing this post for, oh, 4-5 months. Roughly when the group after ours, or the 2nd group after ours got home from China. Lately, I've begun feeling jealous over the people going through that process (like I did for people pregnant with their first child after I had JM). I was deeply moved by our entire experience, and relished every bit of it (okay maybe not the very sick child part). I know, in my heart, that we are likely never to go back. Finances just dictate that. Not to mention the amount of time involved, and the changing of family dynamics. I'm learning to slowly accept and be content in my current circumstances (well not the house maybe). :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Great post and you know my views on this already! Very well stated! I think you hit on everything that we are dealing with right now! LOL
And it's okay to feel that way!! Oh girl, I can't tell you the times as we watched our friends get referrals and how jealous I was. The what ifs went through my mind like you wouldn't believe. Now that we have baby T I watch others get their referrals and smile because I know the joy they are experiencing. Then I start to think that maybe next year we would get back into the wait and then BOOM!, reality hits me hard. No, we are not going to adopt again for some of the same reasons you gave. Enjoy your little dumplings! Never say never and keep the faith. Even though I know down deep in my heart that we won't adopt again I still have that small little glimmer of just maybe...
Hugs,
Carla
This is a good post... a great topic to bring up, especially for waiting parents.
What a great post! I know I am not an adoptive parent but sometimes when I see other's pregnant or with a baby I get a little jealous too. For me I don't think it's about wanting to have another baby (my tubes are tied) but realizing just how quickly babies do grow and missing those baby moments. I realize it's not the same thing as you are talking about but it made me think of that. Again great post!
Wow, so many thoughts I have that are identical to what you wrote. Great post.
The family dynamics are what we are dealing with right now that is hard. Things were so much easier with just the two boys at our house. But I would never never want to have life without our precious little girl. And the house will never be clean, at least for the next 5 years or so. :)
YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree! And I think we don't want to talk about it because we don't want to feel ungrateful. But you're right, it can be VERY hard!!!
huge hugs girl! I don't know anything about the adoption issue but i certainly know all about the doctors visits, therapies, wondering if and what is wrong... finding more and more things wrong... and my child has been with me since the day she was conceived. Katie is gorgeous! You are a great mama! The boys are growing up too fast and you will miss these days! I am finding moments where I am beginning to miss bygone days already. Sigh... such is the plight of a mommy.
Post a Comment