
But, this year, oh this year, I understand so much more. It was HUGE. It was treason. Well, it would have been if we'd lost the Revolutionary War. Those men put their NAMES on a document that would effectively be proof of their treason if we'd have lost the Revolutionary war. They'd have been killed for their actions. I knew that, but I did not understand that fully.

They also knew that not every colonist agreed with them. Many colonists were still loyal to England. Many did not want war. These men though, DID. Other colonists DID want to be free from the restrictions and laws that England was forcing on them. I learned so much at Williamsburg, and would have loved to be able to participate more in Revolutionary City.
One thing I learned, was that some people of the colonies did not like what the Bostonians did with the Boston Tea Party. That some people scoffed at their "war paint" and pretending to be Indians. Then later I was told WHY the Bostonians did dress up for the Boston Tea Party. I know I was told in school why, but I guess I never really paid attention. See, what I learned was that if someone could identify you then YOU were tried as a traitor (with all the gory punishment that entailed). I knew that. What I did not know is that if someone could have possibly identified you and DID NOT, then THEY were also tried as a traitor. The "war paint" was a way for someone to say "All I saw were Indians." Okay, that was what I think I heard amidst the chasing of Katie and appeasing of Samuel.
I enjoyed Williamsburg so much that I think I'm going to ask Dh if we can do the online electronic field trips with the boys this year. :)
But, back to 4th of July, and why today seems to be oh so much MORE to me this year. Our forefathers took a great big giant leap of faith. They believed in something HUGE. I think of how insignificant I am in comparison. I think of the people sitting in Washington DC now (well, figuratively) and I wonder...what would the people of 1776 have thought of them? Touring Mount Vernon, hearing about George Washington and what his views were on different things...I wonder how he would feel about today's leaders. I think of our military, and how the cost of our freedom is not cheap at all. I remember all the monuments we saw - the World War 2 memorial in particular. I remember the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I'm humbled by the sacrifice others have made.

So, today, on this anniversary of what we consider to be the "birth" of our nation, I'm going to reflect on all that has occurred to bring our nation to where it is. I'm going to think of where we are headed as a nation, and I'm going to celebrate our past, our present, and our future.

3 comments:
Great thoughts! Great post.
How did you get your words on your picture? Good way to keep them yours.
What a great post! ... It's sad to think of all the things we take for granted...
Great post!!! Love the pics and the reminder of what having our freedom really cost :).
The 4th was also our 10 year wedding anniversary :D.
Post a Comment