We started at midnight with lots of wonderful family togetherness, enjoying a nice spring storm. Lots of lightening, lots of thunder, lots of rain, and weather sirens going off. Which led to a wonderful night snuggled up with kids in the bed, lots of poking of the eyes, pulling of the hair, jumping up and down playing, and little feet in the back. Nothing like kids in bed with you to remind you of how wonderful being a Mother is. When the alarm went off at 7am, I could not believe it was time to get up already. It felt like it had only been a few minutes since my eyes had closed (possibly had been). It was a rushed morning of getting kids ready for church, and rushing out the door to make it to the "early" service (starts around 8am). I had a commitment to watch the nursery for that service. I felt all of Katie's love for me as she was rather clingy after Dh and I's first date night since her joining our family. She wanted to be held...no she wanted down...wait, she wants to be held. Then Dh showed up in his suit of shining armor (not really, but I swear I saw a halo above his head) and told me to skedaddle to my Women's Sunday School class. I told him that Katie wasn't herself, and might need us to just stay with her again. In Sunday School I was able to eat breakfast (finally), and enjoy the blessed sound of NO whining. One of the members told me she loves reading my blog (*sniff*). That really made my day. As I'm listening to the discussion of Esther and the Boll Weivel stories, I get a message from Dh. He needs me to get Katie so he can sing in the choir. Plus, I get the joy of picking up the boys (it truly is a joy). The minute I get Katie from Dh, she starts crying. Hard. She did not like seeing Daddy leave (and this was the first time she's done this in 3-4 months). I get the boys, and find out that they made some GREAT cards for me (one had chocolate attached to it!). Samuel had made a tissue paper rose, I thought it was for me, but he said it was for Katie. She needed it more because she was crying. (*awwwww*)
I get everyone out to the car without a vomit incident (have I mentioned that sometimes Katie vomits if she cries hard enough? NO? well she does). I drive the car around the parking lot in circles for a little while. Katie continues to cry, and beat herself up with the tissue paper rose. We wait on Daddy. It seems like forever, but eventually he comes out of the doors and hops in the van. Katie cries harder. She cries the entire way home. As it's Mother's Day, I get to choose what we do for the day. I told Dh that I would LOVE to go for a "nature walk" nearby. We change clothes at home, and get everyone loaded in the van. We stop by Sonic for our Mother's Day Lunch. Katie cries and cries. She wants food, then she doesn't, then she does, then she doesn't. Dh and I are both trying to figure out what is wrong.
Amazingly, I've taken no photos until this point. NO PHOTOS PEOPLE! What kind of Mother am I? Katie looked so adorable in her Sunday dress too.
We get to the hiking place, and get everything together. Katie is no longer crying. She didn't eat lunch, but she's not crying. We took the Ergo carrier to try out, and she seemed content hanging out on Dh's back for the walk/hike. I handed the point and shoot camera to JM. As a result, you actually get to see some images of ME and my frizzy hair.


the view from one overlook....

view of the trees from the path...I don't know, ask JM, he took the photo.

do you see the bug? The kids did!







The hike/walk was nice, very nice. The boys said it was boring though they did enjoy themselves (yeah I was confused as well). Katie happily sat there on Dh's back, looked at the sky and trees...then fell asleep. After roughly 1.2 miles (it took us a good hour to walk it too), we were back at the van. Everyone was ready for a break, and a nice quiet relaxing ride down to the shopping center. We had to wake Katie up put her in the van. She screamed the entire way home. We chose to skip the shopping. We gave her some Motrin thinking she might be teething, or have a headache. After all, we had a headache by this point. She went right to sleep. I laid down on the bed and promptly fell asleep as well.
2.5 hours later I woke up. It's roughly 5pm now.
Dh had been shopping, and he tossed a bag of Dove dark chocolates on my lap from afar. He's been married to me long enough to know that I wake up grumpy, especially from a nap. We get up, walk to a friends home for a cookout. Have a lovely time with our friends, Katie is no longer screaming and crying. She's quite happy, though angry about something still. Yes, she can be both happy and angry at the same time. Happy meaning not screaming, laughing and playing. Angry in that she will only do anything on HER terms...including eating her dinner.


At 7:30pm she crawled up on my lap and said "Wan Nigh-nigh." Although the chocolate pie won her attention for staying for a few more minutes. We gathered up our children, and Katie refused to go to Dh. Ah....she's over being mad at me for going on a date with Dh. We promptly put her to bed once home, and she ever so kindly fell asleep for us.
10pm rolls around and our last little munchkin has fallen asleep...on the couch.
I truly DID love this Mother's Day. Not because it was perfect, not because I got wonderful gifts, but because I was able to spend it with my kids and Dh. I got to see friends, talk with my Mom, and live life.

3 comments:
Next time you go hiking... let me know... I love to hike but there is NO ONE who would go with me... so, I go on little hikes of my own... love the hair do... take care
yfbOk, out of all of this, I got that you got a NAP! That would make it a great day for me, too. The Dove chocolates tossed at you also would make it a good day. :)
You made me laugh!
This was our first mother's day since Luci got home that I actually enjoyed. Maybe next year will be more peaceful--at least you KNOW without a doubt you are a mommy!
What a perfect way to spend Mother's Day....with nature and with your children!
I'm jealous of all that green!
Post a Comment