Thursday, May 15, 2008

Homeschooling update...

You did know we homeschool didn't you? Yeah, I know, we're a little weird like that. I'll post one day about the struggle to decide to homeschool, why we chose this lifestyle, what I love about it, what I dislike about it, and what our future plans are (hint, it's one year at a time). But for now, here's our update:

It's at the end of another school year for us, and we're deciding on what to do for next year. We did decide to homeschool next year with JM officially 4th grade and Samuel officially Kindergarten. We will start with curriculum and our "summer schedule" on June 1st. I think we have curriculum narrowed down, and it's not quite easy to follow. It's not streamlined, but I think it's what is going to work out best for us. I might be over-estimating my abilities though! LOL

JM is going to do 5th grade Switched on Schoolhouse for Bible, Science, and Language Arts. He'll do 4th grade Horizons Penmanship. For Math, we're going to start with Horizons Math 4 book 2 (skim through to make sure he learned all he was supposed to this year), then we'll do Horizons Math 5. We're also going to have him do Switched on Schoolhouse State History. :)

Samuel is going to do Horizons Math 1, finish up Horizons Language Arts K and start Horizons Language Arts 1. He'll also do Horizons Penmanship 1, Horizons Spelling 1. Science will be taken care of with our science museum, watching Magic Schoolbus, and participating in science experiments here with JM. Bible will be done using Sonlight's Core 1 Bible suggestion (we used it with JM at the same age).

Notice what is missing from both? History and Geography. This is where I might be a little crazy. We're going to do Sonlight Core 1+2 for both boys. JM will have the most advanced set of books that go with it to read alone, and I already have all the books for Samuel to read alone(from when JM did Core 1). Yes, JM did Core 1 already, but it was a few years ago and I think he'll benefit from going back over that early History.

Okay, why Sonlight Core 1+2? Isn't that 1st and 2nd grade level? JM is in 4th? Well, yes, it's sort of 1st and 2nd grade level. But Sonlight is not tied strictly to grade levels. 4th grade is the "top end" of students using Sonlight Core 1+2, as Kindergarten is bottom end. This means, Samuel is going to need a little "help" understanding, and JM will need a little "extra work" to make it a full curriculum (see above...I think he'll get plenty).

Basically, this means, that every day Dh or I will be reading a nice literary book to the boys that pertains to history or geography. They will then read their own books that relate to that time frame as well. We'll learn LOTS of geography this year - all states in US, provinces in Canada, over 200 countries, all continents, oceans, and planets. :) Samuel will need help writing (he probably won't be). JM will be doing it fully.

What about 4th grade being "Intro to American History?" The beauty of homeschooling is that we can pick and choose which part of history we're going to cover in each year. JM has already been introduced to some early American History, and with our vacation to DC this year (and Williamsburg as well), he'll get a little more. But the plan is, if we homeschool the following year, he'll do a more in-depth American History study. We might even do Core 3 for both boys that year...carrying on into Core 4....and so forth. :) Depends on how it goes.

I can always change my mind part way through the year and start him on American History if I feel like I should. I have a set of books to start it if I want to.

confusing? perhaps a little?

OH, and of course we'll continue with the following "daytime" activities during the week:

Karate - it's a homeschooling class during the day (LOVE Sensei)
Friday Classes - offered through our cover school, Samuel will go to Kindergarten and JM will have his plethora of classes including Spanish 2.
Homeschool Science Classes at the science museum (at least I hope they offer these again)
Piano lessons - going to see if I can add Samuel in

I've considered other music classes as it's almost time for JM to choose an instrument to play in an orchestra/band if he would like to. I think 5th grade is when it would start. Samuel might take the chorus class. I don't know though. I would love an art class for both. I might talk to a friend about those.

4 comments:

Andrew Wiggins said...

Carla -

I decided to check your blog today since I hadn't for a long time, and was delighted to find your entry about homeschooling. We are trying now to decide whether to homeschool or not. We spend a considerable amount of time talking about it. We are both teachers and are analyzing it way too much! I'll look forward to the post you promised to write someday about why you chose to homeschool and what you love and hate about it!

By the way, Katie looks great.

Angie Wiggins

Cheri said...

WTG mommy! YOur one busy woman. I've been there done that and it was way more than I could do. Doesn't help that I pulled my kids from public school in 3rd and 6th grade. As you know Taylor is still "homeschooled" but it with another parent who has a teaching degree. China, Lia with multiply needs, Kera, one son with ADD mix it together and NOah goes back to public school. I would have only been doing more diservice to him. I think anyone who homeschool is amazing!

bbmomof2boys said...

I think it's great that you homeschool! This is something we never thought about for the boys but we are considering it for Little T. It's funny how protective dh is over this child he hasn't even met yet!!

Hugs,
Carla

LucisMomma said...

It's interesting to hear what you are going to be doing. I'd love a trip to Washington and Williamsburg--may have to plan that one for us.

We are beginning Weaver Curriculum (unit studies). I am looking forward to it--lots more work/planning for me, but I need the kick in the seat. The boys were getting to the point of being so spearated, one going this way with his books, the other going that way (Bryan used LifePacs, mostly, and JT had LifePacs, and Horizons) We are running out of time for Bryan to be at home--he starts 10th gr this year. I want to have us do as many things as a family as we can, and I think unit studies will help. John retires sometime in the next 12 months, and he is eager to help some. Luci is also wanting to participate some, and that would be nice (so far her contribution is tearing the house apart while I work with the boys).