Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'm asking forgiveness

For not letting people know exactly when we'd be going to DC. For not making plans to meet up with people. I had a great reason, I really did. We were incredibly busy. I was not sure WHEN we would be places, nor was I certain how long things would take. Then, there is the whole Dh is a little apprehensive of meeting strangers from the internet.

At any rate, our vacation plans were not set in stone (much to MY dismay) and I did not even have a schedule of where we were going except for we were in this hotel Saturday through Tuesday morning, and this other hotel from Tuesday through Saturday morning. As I was talking over my "loose" plan with a fellow mom here locally, she asked me "When do you relax? Isn't this a vacation? Aren't you taking the YOUNGER kids?"

I should have listened to her. I really honestly should have.

Friday May 16 - leave town, drive to Atlanta (yes you all know we're in the South). We got to Atlanta around 1am Easter time. Our flight left at 8am. Why so late? Let's just say we were NOT prepared for a vacation at all.

Saturday May 17 - 5:30am - get up, at airport 6am (let me just say I do not care at all for the Atlanta Airport). Got to Richmond, VA (cheap flight!) and in our rental car around 10:45am. We went on in to Colonial Williamsburg. Samuel had had 5 hours of sleep. Katie wasn't too sure of things. Dh and I were EXHAUSTED. Not our brightest move. Left Colonial Williamsburg around 4pm, much to the kids happiness. Checked into our hotel, went to eat, bought groceries for the first 3 days, changed clothes so we could go to "The Gunpowder Incident" at Colonial Williamsburg...at 8:30pm. Again, not our brightest idea, but it was WONDERFUL. Probably the best part of the entire day.

Sunday May 18 - Busch Gardens (funny story here that I'll cover in the photos). We opened and closed the park. Samuel rode his first "big rollercoaster" and JM got to ride the "adult" rollercoasters. You know, the ones with the 54" plus height requirement? Yes, he's THAT tall now. Yes, we fell into our beds that night.

Monday May 19 - Historic Jamestown. More walking. Cranky kids and adults, but hey it was cool! Then Dh got a business call, we were driving to Newport News to go to the Mariners Museum to see the Monitor stuff and the naval history stuff. Kids adored this museum.

Tuesday May 20 - left hotel by 10am, drove to Mount Vernon - toured it. LOTS of buses and kids. It was rainy, cold, and we were tired. Finished up there, went grocery shoppping in Alexandria so we could check into hotel. Fixed dinner, then attempted a Nationals game (more on that later).

Wednesday May 21 - cold again. Up EARLY to get Bureau of Engraving and Printing tickets, WAshington Monument tickets, then at 9, did BEP, then the Holocaust museum (well the child's portion of it), then Washington Monument, then Natural History Museum with I think the entire state of Virginia's school kids! (Not really, but it was very crowded), back to hotel at 5pm. Changed clothes, went to Nationals Game. OH my heck that is worthy of a blog post in itself!

Thursday May 22 - slept in a little, Arlington Cemetary, National Zoo. Back to hotel around 8pm.

Friday May 23 - drug ourselves out of bed normal time to be at Air and Space museum at 10am. Did that, then walked to see the monuments/memorials. Back to hotel to rest and pack.

Saturday May 24 - left hotel between 9:30 and 10am to drive to Richmond, VA. Big accident on I95, went 25-30 miles in roughly 2-3 hours. Good thing our flight wasn't until 3pm. We made it with about 1 hour before our departure...good thing it's a SMALL airport. ;)

I tell you this so you understand WHY we were not able to meet up with people easily...and to make sure you never agree to let me plan anything BUT a Disney vacation for you. Honestly, though, our Disney Vacations are similar.

No comments: