Thursday, January 10, 2008

1 month with us

Everyone asks how Katie is doing when we talk to them. She's really doing well. We all have moments here and there, but for the most part she's amazing. She has now been with us for 1 month (a little over 4 weeks). We've been home for 3 weeks.

Katie babbles constantly. We suspect she was speaking Chinese. She is saying a few words (those listed previously). Only now we are more convinced she knows what they mean. At least she pats me and says "momma" and when the cat meows, she says "MOW?" She says "uh-oh" when she drops something (on purpose mind you). She falls down, or "crashes" a toy on a table and says "Ka-boom!"

Katie is truly walking now. Before we said she was taking steps. She has started walking across the room, and is getting much faster. In fact she is almost running. It's not super great as she is super curious as well. We're having to relearn how to keep a curious active toddler out of things.

Katie is eating very well these days and trying to feed herself. She's only eating Gerber Stage 3 stuff (thickened with rice) but gobbles down the food. She's also finally started letting us know in some way she is thirsty or hungry (mainly she points and whines...particularly at the kitchen). It was tough there in the beginning when she did not give us clues that she wanted a bottle or some food. We had to guess.

She is laying her head on both of us, more so on Dh than myself. She runs to us and squeals when she sees us. She cries if one of use leaves the house (no longer when we leave the room unless we are the only one in the room with her...she still doesn't like being left alone). She will be okay if JM is in the room and pays her attention (hey I can finally go to the bathroom!).

When we meet new people, she no longer buries her head. She no longer flaps the hand at them that means "Go away." She smiles at them from our arms. If we put her down to walk, she laughs and giggles (but stays near us). She will give anyone "five." She will not go to anyone but Dh and I though (with the exception of a special person at Dh's work who spoke Chinese to her which she liked). If someone tries to hold her, she will turn in toward us (of if on the floor run and hug our leg and lift the arms up to be picked up).

Sleeping? Why is this the first question asked from everyone? LOL Katie has settled into a pretty good routine. She wants to nap around 2pm. She'll sleep for 2-3 hours. Getting her INTO bed at bedtime is hard these days (cries at being left alone...in the darkened room). But once asleep she does not wake up until the next morning (or at least she hasn't for about a week). She sleeps until 8-9am. We try for 12 hours of sleep at night, and 2 during the day. Daytime naps are easy to get her to go down for. We bought the Crib CD thingy and it's helping. I play lullaby music at night (same one nightly), and during nap she gets her Chinese CD or Little People CD, or another if I can find some more. :)

She does voice her displeasure at being disciplined. She likes to playfully hit me (at least I hope it's playfully). I catch her hands, hold them, look her in the eye and say "NO HITTING!" rather sternly. She cries. One night she hit hard, and I was a little more stern. She melted in my arms and cried her little heart out and CLUNG to me. I patted her, hugged her, and told her I still loved her but I did not like being hit.

I can not believe it has already been a month!

3 comments:

Amber Schmidt said...

I cannot believe it has been a whole month!! You waited so long and now a whole month has flown by!!!

katie is still cute as ever!!

Hugs,
Amber

bbmomof2boys said...

A whole month already - doesn't seem like it. Shoot - I can't believe its already January 11 - where does the time go???

~Carla

Anonymous said...

Gosh Carla, little Katie sounds like she is doing just wonderful!! I love hearing about her and seeing all the great pictures!

Amazing how a little one will just melt your heart, isn't it?? :D