Friday, August 01, 2008

Happy Birthday my sweet little Girl!

I can not believe that our little girl is turning 2 today. I remember, vividly, last year and the pain I felt knowing she was turning 1 and I did not know what her laugh sounded like. What her feet looked like. What her cry sounded like. I didn't know if her voice was "high" or "low." All I had were 4 photos I could stare at in wonder. August 1, 2007 was a rough day for me. I looked forward to celebrating August 1, 2008 with Katie. I had dreams, BIG dreams of a huge pink princessy kind of party, and possibly a few ballet and tea parties as well. Dreams. Then, I started thinking of that party...a year in the making. I thought, "Oh wow let's have a pool party at Grandma's house...hmmm...how to tie in pink princessy kind of things with the pool."

Instead, we went camping. We had a "Nemo" themed bash. Katie loves the outdoors, and thrives being outside. She loves fish and "Mah-moe" a whole lot. Sure she likes pink, and princess, but fish and outdoors wins hands down. The pool? Well, she doesn't like it so much. Not one bit. I learned something since bringing Katie home. Something about myself. I have dreams about things I would like to do with her, but I know I will always let HER have a choice and go with what she wants. It's her life to live, not mine to live through her. KWIM?

So, today, is a quiet family celebration where she will get her gifts from us. She will get to "rule" the day. It will probably include a family viewing of Finding Nemo to close out the day. Our little girl is exactly who she is, and we are PROUD of her and love her so much because of who she is. I can not wait to see how the rest of her person develops - all that personality must mean she is going to go GRAND places. :)

Here are her photos from her party last weekend at the campground. It was a nice quiet affair (and she was a little overwhelmed by it) with close friends and family. More photos coming from the trip (not that I took that many...hot, tent camping, too short of a weekend).




12 comments:

Cheri said...

Happy Birthday Day Katie!! We love you tons here at house! I hope you have a wonderful day. Tell mommy to give you a BIG kiss from me. :) You are my favorite Kunming girl you know! ;)

bbmomof2boys said...

Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Katie-bug, happy birthday to you!!

You are so precious and so loved!! I hope that the next year proves to be as exciting and wonderful as this year.

Hugs,
Carla

BBB said...

My LORD that child is CUTE!!!

I can't believe this day is here - you're celebrating a birthday with YOUR Katie!!!!!!!!

M-A said...

You know this is so sweet you actually made me cry!

Happy Birthday Katie

Nik said...

TOO CUTE!!! Wow - I do remember this day a year ago...I'm glad you made it to TODAY.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATIE!!

Jody said...

Happy birthday Katie :D Looks like she had a good time!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Katie!

My youngest, Amanda, loves Nemo too, and has even had a Nemo party (for her 3rd birthday). :D

(The first time she watched Finding Nemo was when she was around 2, and when the end credits rolled, she cried because the movie was over *lol*)

Wife of the Pres. said...

Happy Birthday Katie!!! Carla, I came over to tell you I opened up the Yunnan Yahoo group and there WAS Katie! Did you know she is on the front page?! And on her birthday!!! How awesome is that? You need to somehow "capture" that page to save for her. I'm sure you know how to do that since you are tech savvy! :)))

We will be in Kunming soon enough! "Most likely" September!!!! Please refresh me via PM on sizes/preferences for her Kunming outfits. I am NOT a natural shopper, but I'll do my best!

Happy 2nd Birthday Katie!!!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Happy birthday, little Katie-bug!!!! :)

Shanna said...

Awwwww! Happy Birthday Katie! She really did enjoy that cup cake. Wow! what a smile.
Shanna
(mom to another Kunming cutie)

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Katie!

Amber Schmidt said...

Happy Birthday Katie!!!! That last pic is just to die for!!!