I remember, as a child, that every 6 weeks we'd get a report card. The end of a 6 week term was big huge deal to me, and I loved getting the report card. Possibly because I was bribed by my parents to get A's. $1 for every A earned, and $20 for straight A's. So, it was with shock that I realized that we've completed 30 days of school since June 1st. 30 days. 6 weeks. The boys should get a report card I think, except our local schools do 9 week terms, and as such, I will be filling out their report card for 9 weeks.
I was thinking though, how is this year going? I'm more relaxed this year, possibly because I know how it will go after 3 years of homeschooling on the record, and 2 years prior to that (we don't have to officially report to the state until the child is in 1st grade). I'm not going to go into what all the kids have learned (or not learned), nor how much they've resisted doing school work (it's been the summer...what do you expect?!). But rather, how am I doing?
I'm more confident telling others that I homeschool. I say it much less timidly, and I do not keep quiet. I've grown into a homeschooling mom. I know that what we are doing IS working well for our family. I have to watch that I don't become one of those pushy moms though that pushes for others to start homeschooling. I want to encourage them to look into the possibility if the only thing holding them back is fear. Homeschooling has been much easier than I thought it would be. It's been harder in some respects too, and I am sure to tell others that as well.
What I'm personally struggling with is a kind of weird thing to struggle with. I am not sure if I should be happy or upset when I get a certain comment. I know the intent, and I know the thoughts behind it. However, I'm just not sure how I should react. It's sort of like some of the adoption comments. What is it?
"Wow! You homeschool?! I never would have guessed because your boys get along so well and interact so well with all the other kids."
1. I'm thrilled that the boys are getting along with other kids, and are behaving well.
2. They think homeschooled kids act weird?
3. Do they think homeschooling your kids keeps them socially deprived so that they do not know how to act around other people?
See what I mean? Do I take it good or bad? Good I guess for my kids, bad I guess for homeschooling's viewpoint in society. It's been my experience that most homeschoolers are not the kind who stay in their homes 24/7 and never leave. I see them out, involved in activities, and honestly, acting like all the other kids and families I see. :)
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I have gotten those same comments myself. I also wonder when I get the oh your children act so well, what they expect them to act like? I don't know of any homeschooling families (including my boys) that stay home much at all. Not that we don't have days we chill out but I think we are more out of the house than in it LOL. I guess we just smile and change the subject? I don't know. When you figure it out let me know too LOL.
Carla -- My sister KitKat homeschools! The Husband and I are open to it, definitely, although we have no plans at the moment.
I think that most people out there in society are just so clueless about homeschooling and that perfectly normal children can come out of that type of environment. Really, the only time homeschooling is out there, right in their face, is when something bad is in the news, you know? If they only knew how fun, hands-on, discovery-minded, loving, warm and yes, even SOCIAL it can be...are they missing out or WHAT? ;)
Post a Comment