Friday, August 29, 2008

Fun Foto Friday


Would you have EVER guessed this was a photo we'd get less than 9 months from our China trip? While we still have a long ways to go on bonding and attachment, we are oh so much further ahead than we were. Miles and miles ahead.

This is a "self-portrait" holding the camera out at arms length hoping for the best. She SMILED and held it, with her head next to mine and touching it. Did I mention MILES ahead of where we were in China?

Why do I say we still have a ways to go? Well, it's all in the subtle things. It's the clinginess during the day (she's slowing becoming less of a velcro baby). It's in the nightmares she has the night after we have "left" her with caregivers other than ourselves. It's in the self-soothing things she did the instant she SAW this image on the camera, to the point where she started to close me out. We played and giggled, and I didn't do any more photos with her for a good bit, and then none of those have this true genuine smile...oh they come close, but this smile...THIS is a real smile from Katie. It took months for us to see this one. We were able to see the happy laughing smile in China (okay Dh saw it). We saw the "cheese" grin by January...but this smile. It took quite a while, and then it NEVER showed up for photos until recently.

7 comments:

Jill said...

Awwww...that is such a wonderful sight! I know it makes your heart sing, Carla!

bbmomof2boys said...

I hear you! oh boy, do I hear you. Tiana smiles and laughs and we feel blessed for that. But, she is still clingy to me - me only (which I love most of the time) and she still cries in her sleep. I mentioned that in one of my posts - it just breaks my heart to hear her cry like that!!

Every day chick - every day is a step closer to our daughters finally realizing that we are here to stay and to take care of them!

Hugs,
Carla

Nik said...

What a great picture!! You really have come a long way.

Cheri said...

I love this picture! Your right, it's not her normal "cheese" smile. To think back to China and then see that picture brings tears to my eyes. It's beautiful Carla!

Amber Schmidt said...

ok I literally have tears in my eyes!!! Carla you have a heart of gold. I cannot imagine all that you went through to get your precious princess and it does my heart good to see her cheesing for your "facebook style" pic!!!

Anonymous said...

That picture makes me so happy! I hope there will be many more to come!

Saving The Day said...

Awww, Carla! This picture warms my heart. You certainly have come a long way and you'll get the rest of the way there in time. You're a great mama!