Saturday, March 08, 2008

Mom-Nesia

Read this on my yahoo group....

I'm a forgetful mom and each kid I have I joke about losing IQ points.
My mom friends say the same thing. Well, on the NBC nightly news this
past Thursday a Neuropsychologist named this condition! Really! It's
called "mom-nesia." When a newborn is added to a family a mom loses
at least 2 hours of sleep per night for the first year. That's 700ish
hours! Wanna guess what sleep deprivation does? The report went on
to say that putting things in places they don't belong (like socks in
the freezer because you're multi-tasking) is common for mom's of new
children. There is good news, though, and that is mom's do get
smarter at the same time our memory seems to be leaving us. The
saying that we have eyes in the back of our heads is actually our
mental ability picking up to monitor various things at one time. So,
all you mom's-to-be and mom's-of-many, if your memory seems poor, your
intuition and instinct is awesome!

Oh how I know EXACTLY what they are talking about! Sometimes I think if I didn't have my head on my body I'd lose it too. I lost a piece of camera equipment last month (light meter). I looked and looked and looked, and all I could remember was that I had it early January. In asking my friends where else I could have put it, I had the answers of "the refrigerator, the deep freezer, the linen closet, the toy box, etc." Seems they have all lost items as well and found them in odd places.

1 comment:

LucisMomma said...

I think it happens while pregnant, too. I remember being pregnant with #2son and took #1son to the doc. I was staring at his white coat, at his name and couldn't remember his name! I was friends with his wife and he thought I was funny--he just pointed at his name and said DUH!

I loved the '80s post you had--but I must be a lot older because I remember so many of those things when they came out!