Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Katie threw a temper tantrum!

Actually she threw a couple. She wanted to walk and run at the science museum (in and out of the gift shop). I picked her up and carried her to another section of the museum...arched back, screaming, crying, and kicking of feet.

I was so happy!!!!

Then, a little later I tried to put her in the stroller, she flailed and kicked and screamed.

I think my smile was the largest I've had in a year.

Tonight, she screamed and cried and gave us evil looks for putting her in the carseat. She arched her back if we picked her up to carry her.

Yes, we have achieved temper tantrums. She finally feels comfortable enough with us to protest, to throw a tantrum, to show us she is unhappy and upset. FINALLY. Prior to this she would shut down and comply. We are, of course, still doing "holding time" and "loving time" and "snuggle time" with her, and I will make sure she will still look me in the eyes to night (lovingly not that evil look she gave me in the car). But, honestly, I need a break from her tonight for the first time since we have been home. Loss of compliance coupled with the boys feeling better and little sleep on my part makes for a cranky Mommy. In fact, all of us were a little cranky today. We're all feeling better, and we're hopeful that illnesses are going to give us a little bit of a break...at least we hope so.

I think I'm going to watch Baby Einstein with my little temper tantrum throwing Katie-bug.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Aren't tantrums great! Finally they want to make their opinion known instead of passively accepting everything! I totally feel the same way!

Cheri said...

Boy, you gone three months and are NOW just needing a break! Your good! LOL I needed a break a long time ago! :) I love my girl but those tanrums are hard when they are on going. I know just the tantrum your talking about! Hopefully with time it will get better. We only have tantrums when getting undressed these days or if she's hungry. Your right though, she is starting to feel more comfortable with you! WooHoo!

LucisMomma said...

It was three full months (maybe 4) before Luci "let go" of her self to laugh and smile when we tickled her. We had no idea she was ticklish until then! It is such an act of trust.

She also didn't let on when she hurt for years...this year, 2 1/2 years after gotcha, she finally tells us when she is hurting.