Friday, March 14, 2008

Are we geeks?

Thinking back to other fun forum posts (what else do you do while you wait ever so long?), I remember this one thread. We were discussing whether we were geeks or not. I'm not talking "nerd" but geek. I told a friend about it recently and we were laughing and trying to figure out if we were geeks or not.

It started innocently enough with talk of keeping score on a laptop for a Scrabble game and then graphing it in Excel (yeah I can see Dh doing that for Rook or Spades). Sudoku was brought up, and yes we both do that quite a bit (Dh more so than myself as it requires a few more brain cells than I seem to have at the moment). But when it started in with just things as "data points" and "expanded Star Wars universe" and then "discussion of viability of FTL" I was starting to worry as I understood what they were saying. I didn't even think I was a geek there. Nor did I think we were geeks when I admitted that we had seen every episode ever made of Star Trek. Yes, even Enterprise...and Voyager to the bitter end. While we could not claim status of "Trekkie Convention Goer" we did go to Vegas to see the Star Trek Encounter, and bought our first child a Star Trek uniform (HEY! I think it would fit Katie...perhaps I should dig it out and photograph her in it). I still didn't think we were classified as geeks at that point. But I started wondering when I admitted that Dh at one point knew the star dates for every TNG episode based on the first line of the show.

I laughingly admitted that Dh *might* be a geek at that point.

Then I started thinking of other SciFi favorite shows and talked with my friend who also likes the same ones such as Babylon5, FarScape (and yes that discussion went on into whether the shows ending was good or bad...), and don't forget Battlestar Galactica. Of which I was not part of the argument of whether the new version was better than the old. I didn't see the old version. I quite like this version, and yes, I think Starbuck is a Cylon. Dh and I can also quote lines from Firefly (you know the series that led to the movie Serenity).

Okay, so perhaps I might have a teeny tiny bit of geekiness in me.

Lord of the Rings came up. We saw all 3 in the theaters and if we had not had the complications of childcare, we would have done the 3 movies in one day marathon. Gosh I still think that would have been one of the most amazing movie theater experiences...well other than having to run to the bathroom so much.

Yeah, our geekiness meter did inch up a little there didn't it?

It went on and on...and then I thought of college, and one of the courses I took was the ULTIMATE geek class...guess I stood no chance huh? I still submit that I didn't really take Methods of Real Analysis as I had major help from Ty's Momma to get through that semester (but she's not a geek - she's a Math wonder). Besides, she's too pretty to be a geek. So what if the Numerical Analysis course I took required a thorough understanding of MatLab and I enjoyed it. (oops, did I just admit that out loud?) That does not make me a geek. Does it?

Yeah, figured that about sealed my fate in "geekiness."

so, tonight, we're off to play with friends down the street. What are we playing?Illuminati and for wikipedia's description click here

If that wasn't bad enough, our 9 year old son loves to play this game with us, loves watching all the above shows we watch, and at the age of 5 made part of his argument about handwriting using factual information about an EM pulse. Yes, we're ensuring his future as a geek as well.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Yes. You are geeks. :-) I know, because I recognize a lot of similarities between you and my husband, who is a geek. And he tries to make me a geek, but I'm much more resistant. With an occasional, intentional "mix-up" of Star Wars and Star Trek to tick him off. I'll have to tell him that you've ALSO seen all the episodes of Star Trek!

Kristy said...

You are too funny, I must admit that I was a huge Enterprise fan!!! Love , love love, Captain Picard!!! So I guess I am a geek too!

Love, Kristy

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Be a geek and be proud... I too think Mike and I are geeks... the geeky thing we are doing right now is watching on Ebay a cornflake up for auction... actually that is funny... but we also go Geo-caching... using Billion dollar satellite equipment to find plastic boxes in hiding places... oh... Star Trek rules...

MamaToTyAndTodd said...

Ok - so in grad school we had a pretty clear definition of what pushed you from the "nerd" category to the "geek" category.

Here's the question: Do you own any shirts with math/science on them? If so, you're clearly in the "geek" category. (My 4 pi shirts - not to mention the limits shirt and the "I'm statistically significant" shirt I borrowed from my brother definitely pushed me into "geek" territory.) Of course, I was in a MATH PhD program at the time, so the rest of my peers pretty much fell into the same category. hehhehehehe

Carla said...

Hmmm...do I personally own any Math/science shirts? No. But Dh does...of course I bought them for him. LOL He has 2 from http://www.thinkgeek.com The "You are dumb." Written in binary (he wanted to be different from the "There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who can read Binary and those who can not."

Now I do want some of those shirts...yep, guess that makes me a geek.