Sunday, January 25, 2009

Xin Nian Kuai Le, 新年快乐

In preparation for this holiday, I endeavored to embrace as many of the traditions as possible. I had great expectations.

Had being the operative word there.

I meant to get everyone's hair trimmed up and looking good so that we could enter this New Year with LOTS of luck. I didn't get a hair trimmed in the house. Dh...well, he definitely needs it too. I figure we'll make it through the 15 days of celebration though before we get their hair cut. Hopefully.

I meant to clean the house top to bottom and have it all sparkly and shiny. Dh ended up working 20 hours of overtime in the past 3 days. Do you realize what that does to a Mom with 3 kids at home when she is trying her best to clean the house top to bottom and sweep out all the bad luck?

Yeah. My eye started twitching about Saturday afternoon.

I meant to have everyone with their new shoes and new outfits to wear. Despite the overtime, I just could not see spending money on new clothes to wear right now when everyone has PLENTY of clothes (as evidenced by the piles of laundry I see each week without anyone screaming that they are out of clothes). New shoes? 3 of us have them. *shrug* Guess that will do.

I meant to decorate with all sorts of pretty lanterns, cut-outs, and red/gold door hangings. I'll make do with things the kids color tomorrow.

I meant to buy red envelopes. I printed some out from online...next year? Hopefully I'll remember next year in enough time to order them.

I did manage to purchase a Chinese meal for us to eat tomorrow night. It's a frozen family meal, but I'm counting it! :) One day perhaps I'll attempt to cook some of the delicious recipes I've read about online.

Oh...and Dh? He's going to work more overtime this week, this coming weekend, and next week. Fun times indeed.

11 comments:

Jesse, James and Lindsey's mom said...

I can so relate!! We did get hair cuts. Our house flooded so cleaning was a bit crazy...but with no floors guess we can say we are clean downstair LOL!! BUt all our stuff had to get moved upstairs! I can relate to the working DH also LOL! Mine just left for a 5 week job..home the first week of March! Let the fun begin!! :) Happy Chinese New Year!!

Jody said...

Sorry things didn't work out the way you had wanted. Being a mom can certainly make your hands full huh? :). Happy Chinese New Year!

Denise said...

I also had grand plans, but with us still celebrating birthdays, we may just read some books about CNY tonight!

LucisMomma said...

Hey--our walmart has some Chinese NY cards--and last year had some red envelopes. I didn't look for the envelopes this year, but I bet they are there. In the greeting card aisle.

I did manage to make dumplings--Luci requested them after seeing NiHao Kai-lan (Ye Ye made some) but she wouldn't eat them! :(

Why does everyone say Gung Hay Fat Choi when Xin Nian Kuai Le is Mandarin? I didn't realize that GHFC was Cantonese (at least I'm assuming that) until the NiHao Kai-lan dvd.

Jboo said...

Ditto -- I meant to do a lot to get ready too, but didn't get a whole lot accomplished! Have a good week and a Happy CNY!

Janet

mommy24treasures said...

Happy Chinese NY:)
I get more done w ithout daddy home. Somehow things seem more wild when he's here:)
Have a wonderful week. Love the camera lessons you are sharing.

Shanna said...

Geez, it sounds like my list of intentions. I did manage to get a few of the things done. I gave Kai a major hack job on his hair last night. I even cut my own! New shoes....nah, that would break the bank with our big family!
It is so hard when hubbys work late too!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're pretty busy... My hubby has been putting in a lot of OT too.

Andrea said...

I am right there with ya! Good intentions, poor execution. We haven't even eaten Chinese food since getting home in November. I do have the dresses but not enough energy to set up a photo shoot today or this week. However, I am glad you've been doing the photo lessons! One day when the decorations are found, the hair trimmed, and the dresses donned... I'll use all your tips! Happy CNY!

a Tonggu Momma said...

I failed this week as well, mostly because it's been Prescription Month at our house this January (all three of us)... I got nothing done on my list except to hang the couplets up on our front door. Tonight we tried to salvage everything by going to our favorite Chinese restaurant so we could take pictures in front of THEIR decorations. LOL. 新年快乐 anyway!

Elizabeth Channel said...

Sounds neat! (Not the overtimeworkinghubby part.)