I've heard from many both on the blog and through email that learning these new things on the camera is a bit overwhelming. Yes it can be. Yes it was for me too. I want to encourage you though and know that the more you practice, the more you MAKE yourself use these settings, the more you will learn. The faster you will be able to adjust things. The more you will "guess" the right settings right off the bat.
When I was first starting in manual modes and not comfortable with them, I would look at a situation to begin with and think "What ISO do I think this needs?" I would set that and take some test photos. Did I guess right? If not, why? What tricked my eye into thinking this placed needed that ISO.
Aperture, on the other hand, came about more from me wanting that blurry background. So, I always went for really wide open. It took a few months for me to realize that not everything I shot had to be fully wide open. Play with it. Have fun with it.
I've been trying to visit everyone's blogs who have posted to these posts, and those who are following. I have seen some great photos too!
I'm knee deep in my photography book that I'm studying, and just finished the "developing you own negatives and prints" chapters. I've got a post going on Shutter Speeds, but after these past two lessons on ISO and Aperture, I'm sure you are having an idea of what it is like. I will be talking about the Shutter Speed Priority mode though and WHY it's sometimes a good idea to use it.
I'm also working on "tips for taking portraits" of your own kids. Places I look for in houses, areas, etc. I'm working on a "composition" post, where I'll talk about what makes a great composition. I'm working on a post about "photo-journalism" and "lifestyle" photography. I could inundate you with TONS of posts, but I'm afraid I'll overwhelm you all with too much information.
So, my encouragement to you all - KEEP SHOOTING! Try to get to the point where if you make a mistake in taking a photo you can say "I know WHY that happened and this is what I need to do to correct it." If you have ANY questions, please feel free to email me.
Monday, January 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
These posts have been so helpful to me! Could you post sometime about shooting in RAW(have no clue what that means really or what to do with it), photo editing software you recommend for amateurs, and some basic lense choices you think everyone should have. (I only have the lense my nikon d40 came with). Thank you!!
Sure thing!!!
I'll have to say I've been left in the dark with digital. When it was me, my Pentax 1000 and a college darkroom, I could get something working from a photojournalism standpoint, but now I am hopeless. I'll keep reading!
Yep - I've been trying to do the manual thing too - I thought I had some good shots but when I pulled them up in PS they were grainy!! Ugh! So, I'll keep playing around and see what looks good and what doesn't. I'm really enjoying your posts - thanks so much!!
Hugs,
Carla
Thank you so much for doing this! I have printed off the ISO and apperture posts...not had a chance to try them yet. Life is too busy. But I'm so grateful to you. My hubs bought me a new Rebel for Christmas and I'm dying to see what that baby will do! Thanks again!
Thank you so much for your posts. I'm glad I found my way over here. I love taking pictures and have really been wanting to increase my understanding and improve my pictures. I will be following along. Thanks for your willingness to help us out.
These are awesome posts. I'm bookmarking them and I WILL learn from you. I will.
Post a Comment