Friday, January 09, 2009

Starting at the beginning or Part 1 - ISO

I shoot Canon, so most of the controls might be in Canon-speak. ;) I'm also still learning, but I'm about to take that darn test that says I know what I'm talking about. So, I hope this will help you as it's helping ME clarify everything so I can score really well on that test.

A or AV is aperture priority
S or TV is shutter priority
M is Manual
P is photo priority (basically auto without the camera choosing ISO or flash)

Before we go too far, I want to make sure EVERYONE understands the relationship between aperture, shutter speeds, and ISO. They all 3 affect the light that is coming into the camera and being captured on the film/digital sensor, and understanding how they work is crucial to properly exposing your images manually. Before I get into why I choose which one, what I'm thinking when taking a photo, etc. I want to go over these basics.

We all know that ISO 100 needs a brighter light than ISO 1600. ISO numbers show a sensitivity to light, and the lower the number the finer the grain in the film. For digital cameras, we see "ISO equivalents" and it measures how sensitive the sensor is to light, and it works the same way as the film - it's a measurement of the "grain" which produces noise in the final image. While it's nice to be able to shoot indoors without a flash and keep good shutter sppeds with ISO 1600, it comes at a cost. ISO 1600 has a LOT of noise in it, lets not even discuss what ISO 3200 has in terms of noise.

I'll go back and tell a quick story from this past May. Airing my dirty laundry so to speak, and why I'm still "growing" as a photographer. I was shooting a wedding with a friend, and we were down in a "hollow" in Middle Tennessee in the deep dark of the woods. Bright sunny day, but down in the "hollow" I needed 1600 ISO to get my shutter speeds fast enough for the aperture of 4.0-8.0 that I was varying between. As expected those photos are really nice, but have a lot noise. Well, we get to the top of the hill, in a more open area. I start to shoot the little kids, and I had put the camera in AV mode (do this sometimes in a fast moving situation with kids). I was not paying attention to my in camera meter OR shutter speeds. I was tired (it was about 4 hours into the wedding shooting). I finally chimped (which is looked at the back) and saw WAY OVERBLOWN! I could not figure it out! My shutter speeds were maxed out. I looked at the camera for a good minute or so, then DUH!!! I still had ISO 1600 set! I moved the ISO down to 200 and immediately my images were better exposed.

Luckily, my friend was also capturing images at this point. We did not have to rely solely on MY images alone. This is why I do not like shooting a wedding alone.

Okay, so that little story should tell you why you need to know these relationships, because at some point you will see an image on your camera during an important moment and need to know what to do to make it come out properly.

GO FIND YOUR CAMERA MANUAL!!!! :) I'll wait for you. If you can't find it, look it up online. Put this somewhere that you can reference in case I ask you to adjust something, and you don't know where it is!

Got it? Good...

Move the dial to what on Canon cameras is A or AV mode, and on Nikon it's A mode. Those of you with other brands, if you have trouble please let me know. AV or A mode allows you to set the aperture setting and choose your ISO, and the camera will figure out the best shutter speed for you based on it's "metering" and such.

Figure out how to change the ISO manually. (Look at the manual, if you have trouble contact me and I'll help you figure it out) Usually there is a menu setting to change it, or a button that says "ISO" on it that you have to push (and sometimes in combination with another button/dial to change it).

The in camera meter is located in 2 places - when you look through the Viewfinder it's the bar that has -2...-1...0...1...2 in some fashion. In Canon it's across the bottom, and I think in Nikon it's along the right side. The 2nd place is on the top (well, okay, from looking at online views of Rebel XS and the Nikon D60...it's not viewable there...if it has live viewing on the back, it might show it there). Really, you only really care about it through the viewfinder.

Also in the viewfinder (and sometimes on the top or on the back) you will see the corresponding numbers to SS and Aperture.

So, in A or AV mode, I want you to set the Aperture to the smallest number you can (for some this will be f/1.8 for other it might be f/3.5 or f/4.0 or f/5.6).

Now, set your camera to ISO 100 and focus on something in the room. Find that meter and settings...you don't have to take a photo, but you have to focus and get the exposure readings. Write down them down with a notation that it was for ISO 100.

If you are in a dimly lit room, I would expect the photo to be a little blurry due to camera shake of a very slow shutter speed! Is that what happened to your photo? It would for me at ISO 100 (see post below this one).

Now, change the ISO to 200 - retake the photo and write down the SS it gave you. Repeat for ISO 400, ISO 800, and ISO 1600. What did you see happen?

The Shutter Speeds should have increased. Not only that, but they should have at least doubled. Did they "double" or close to it?

Thus, a LOW ISO number means "slower" shutter speeds than a HIGH ISO number would give you in the same light. Lower number film speeds (or ISO) are considered "slow films" while higher numbered ones are considered "fast" films because of this.

If you are out, say in the botanical gardens and you took a photo of you child in the bright sunlight. It would need a lower ISO number. If you then stepped into a really shady area, then you would need to bump up your ISO number to a higher one so that you can keep faster shutter speeds. If you are outside taking photos, getting nice crisp exposures, then move indoors with the same ISO and get blurred images remember to check to see if your ISO is appropriate for INDOORS. Back in my "old" days when I shot film for the yearbook, we had to finish out an entire ROLL of film before changing the ISO to one more suited for indoors (or heavy shade). Now aren't you glad you have a digital camera?

I couldn't find any good photos of this to share in this post, but rest assured I will share some soon (even if I have to take them with the purpose of showing you all the differences).

Any questions? (next up is Aperture)

14 comments:

CC said...

I've done this experiment before, but haven't seen much differences. Although I understand that their should be. Any idea why?

Carla said...

There are not major differences in the photo between say ISO 100 and ISO 200. If you are in a brightly lit room, or outside, you will probably always see a properly exposed image (unless you are in a REALLY bright area and then ISO 1600 could hit the maximum shutter speed and you'd be overexposed).

Watching the shutter speeds should show you how incrementally it's changing.

For example, if this was my initial reading:
ISO 100 f/1.8 ss is 1/60
ISO 200 f/1.8 ss is 1/125
ISO 400 f/1.8 ss is 1/250
ISO 800 f/1.8 ss is 1/500
ISO 1600 f/1.8 ss is 1/1000

each of those images would actually LOOK the same, and only in looking close would I even possibly see any blur from movement on the ISO 100 one. It's in watching the Shutter speeds change that you can see how the ISO changes are changing the SS.

In this case, if I were shooting on ISO 1600 and saw a SS of 1/1000, I would know that I have PLENTY of room to adjust my ISO down to reduce the noise in the image and keep the rest of the image quality. For me personally, I probably would have settled out around ISO 200 or ISO 400 while other photographers I know would have gone on down to ISO 100.

If you were paying attention to the Shutter speeds and didn't see what I listed above, then it might be the camera's meter read the scene slightly differently because perhaps a bit more of a white wall was in the screen, or a bit more of a dark floor was. Try it at night in your dining room with lights on. Put a toy on the table and shoot back toward the wall from the same height.

Carla said...

Did that help?

DiJo said...

Hi!

I am taking a break from Blogging to try to work on figuring out my new camera! So, I am making the excuse that I can visit here and learn what I am doing!!!! I am a friend of Denise's. I think we have met via our blogs and AWAA before!

Thanks for doing this! And, for talking about the things I am embarassed to ask about!

Blessings,
Diana (Pearl & The Ruby)

Lisa A : Izabella said...

Thank-you Carla for doing this series. You have a gift for explaining the in's and out's of photography. I have a degree in graphic design and took a photography class years ago when we actually learned to develop our film in a dark room. I loved that class--but without giving my age away (ok I just turned 49 on Jan 1..heck...why not...). I love photography-not much of a "nature/scenery" photogrpaher, more journalist approach--love to document my family and life with the camera. I was blessed when my husband purchased me a Rebel Xti as a replacement for my compact camera a year ago. BUT--I've struggled with all the menus and setting on the digital camera. The old film cameras were much less complicated--BUT--like you said, much more restrictive. So...thank you for doing this series. I'll be following along.

Just FYI--I found you through our mutal friend Denise.

Lisa A

Ashia said...

this was great!! too bad i'm at work reading this and don't have my camera with me. =( i will try this out tonight or tomorrow. i'm guessing that the more familiar we get with switching between iso speeds, the better we will get at "guessing" on which one to set it at for a quick "catch the moment" kind of photo? i hope so! right now i have to take several to get a decent looking one, and most of the time the "moment" is gone by then. =( i'm sure you know what i mean. =)

Kam said...

Carla, I am a friend of Denise's and came over from her blog! I bet you will get lots of traffic from her! Isn't she the best!?!

My husband just bought the Canon XS for me for Christmas! It is my first SLR and I'm loving it. I am so happy you are doing this...am dying to take a photography class but have no $ b/c we are adopting! LOL!

Thanks again! Have a fantastic weekend!

Kam

Denise Grover Swank said...

Why do you presume that we all know that ISO 100 needs a brighter light then ISO 1600??? ***wink*** no,seriously.

Thank you! Thank you! I have a Canon Rebel and it takes awesome pictures without me even doing anything to it. I have imagined and daydreamed what spectacular photos it would if I had even a small clue what to do with it!

I'm going to go play with it now now!

Cheri said...

OK, I've done my lesson for the day! I must say that even after ONE blog post I feel so much better in manual mode! :) I am looking forward to learning more. Thank you my friend!

Karen said...

I am so excited to find your blog! Thank you for the lessons! I'm looking forward to learning more!

The 5 Bickies said...

I am so thankful for this series! I have had a Nikon D70 since they were first introduced and have done very little to learn and/or operate my camera. I have beeen deemed the resident photographer for school events and it's intimidating. I shot the dark Christmas pageant in ISO 1600 because it was so dark and now I can't crop because they are so grainy. Thanks to you I understand why. I'll be following along closely!

The Vinyards said...

Thank you for the lesson. I feel like I "know" our new camera a little better. Thanks!
Really strange--I was going to get my camera & manual when you posted a comment on my blog!
Can't wait for the next lesson-
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I wonder if I can switch my camera to manual and live without a flash.... I'll have to experiment. Thank goodness for digital cameras! :-)

Carla Lewter said...

Thanks Carla, can't wait for lesson #2!! Now I might actually understand how my camera and new lense work!

Love ya!
Carla L.