Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's finally happened...

It took her about 13 months, but she has finally done something that I've been waiting on. Waiting for months and months and months for her to do. Why? Because I knew that until she did this one thing, I would wonder if she was anxiously attached. I would wonder how much she still carried with her from her time in China. I would wonder how much the first 16 months of minimal stimulating toys affected her.

Did I mention that she's just about 2.5 years old? I've been waiting on this for months.

MONTHS.









Do you see what I see? If you've adopted internationally, I'm sure you do. If you have not, I'm sure you only see the messy messy room. She is playing with toys. She is playing with toys ALONE in her room.

Do you see - the doctor's kit next to the open doors of the doll crib? She was doctoring the babies...and changing their clothes and diapers (hint to those out there, buy stock in baby doll diapers at the rate she's going through them). The Little People town was played with. The kitchen food was spread all around the room. The First dollhouse was pulled out of the closet and put in the middle of the room (she evidently could not find the pieces to it, so it was abandoned there). The tea cart? Oh she wheels that around the upstairs for multiple tea parties with babies that are sporadically placed around the house.

Imaginative play. Play with toys appropriately. INDEPENDENT play.

The evidence of this brought tears to my eyes...the first 5 times. I'm quickly developing the reaction most parents have when greeted with a bedroom that looks like this after just 15 minutes from when it was spotlessly clean. ;)

11 comments:

Jody said...

That is great!! I think she is doing great!!

a Tonggu Momma said...

WONDERFUL!!!! It took the Tongginator a long time to get there... like, last year. And I have to say that this IS a big step. I am so happy for y'all.

bbmomof2boys said...

Go Katie-bug go!!! Little T is still pretty much up my butt though she does change her babies diapers when they poopoo. She has a little kitchen that she likes to play with but I have to be right there with her still. I know the day will come when she too plays in her room - thanks for reminding me that it takes time and it will happen.

BBB said...

Yeah for messes!!!!!!!!!!

Jboo said...

Yay for your little sweetie!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Janet

Ashia said...

yay for katie!!! she's just too cute!

Naomi said...

She is such a sweet little girl.. so very beautiful. I have been on your blog recently and checked out ALL the families who adopted from Kunming. I had so much fun!! We are so excited about going there and we are learning more and more how beautiful it is!! I cannot wait to see Kunming and especially this precious gift from Jesus!

I look forward to following your blog more.

Naomi

Anonymous said...

How awesome that you're excited by a messy room! You'd be THRILLED at my house! :D

mommy24treasures said...

oh that is great! it took A LONG time here too, and she still doesn't do it that often.

LucisMomma said...

Hooray, Hooray!

Elizabeth Channel said...

That is so inspiring! And it gave me such perspective because my Sue's room looks like this so much and I get frustrated when in actuality she's just doing what she should do!