Thursday, April 24, 2008

A wee rant

Dh and I were recently looking over air fares to our vacation destination, and we found a GREAT rate flying out of a larger airport not so far from us and flying into another slightly smaller airport near our destination.

It really was a good deal, and we were trying to decide if Katie needed a seat or not. We chose to get her a seat, and went through the entire online process to purchase seats, and got to the "choosing a seat" option. The airline CHARGES for specific seats. $6 a seat. That's times 5 for EACH DIRECTION. If we wanted Exit row it was an additional $20 a seat.

$6 for regular economy coach seats. SURPRISE. We were NOT happy with the airline for this little bit of "hidden fee" thing. Not to mention that our checked luggage goes to 1 checked bag per person.

So, we backed out of Katie's seat and purchased only the 4. We'll pay the extra bag fee of $10 for one or two bags I guess. Unless I can make some finagling with packing and get it all worked out where we are in 4 checked bags. Which I guess will include a stroller, a pack-n-play, a carseat, and our suitcases. Yeah, I am thinking we'll at least have one extra bag possibly 2.

We did check another airline, but for same flights on another airline it was going to be $100 more for just the 4 of us. While we were willing to change airlines for the principle...$100 would have covered the cost of Katie's seat.

blech.

But on the up side, we're not driving the insane distance with the insane gas prices now. We're also not having to deal with Katie's meltdowns after 3 hours in the car and we're still going. ;)

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Sounds crazy! LOL Like you said, your still going! :)