Monday, April 14, 2008

Birthdays, Baseball, and...

boys? That could work for a title.

It's "Birthday" mini-season here in our family. I won't reveal when my own was or is, but it is in April. I'm over 30, and that is all we're going to talk about that. However, my nephew turned 2 recently and we enjoyed our trip up to visit with him and his family. Okay, it was a bit rushed, but we loved it.

It was rushed because we had baseball games and practice on the Saturday prior to the birthday party. To make it even more fun, the game and practices were in the afternoon, meaning we could not leave to drive up to my sisters until well after 5pm. It made for a rather long night, especially since we adults stayed up until 2:30 am playing Rook. I'm pleased to say that my Sis and I won both rounds against the guys. Yes we did. However, we will not admit that it might have had something to do with the fact that it was after midnight when we were playing and we were extraordinarily lucky. "Sleepy drunk" is the best way to play.

The Boys loved playing with their cousins. They flew some kites. They played some Wii. They slept in sleeping bags, they giggled, they talked, and they drove us crazy. Not really, but it was wonderful to see them bond some more this weekend.

While the boys were "bonding" us girls were "crafting" downstairs. I learned how to make a pillowcase dress this weekend, and our first attempt turned out rather cute (especially as my Sister's MIL greatly helped us out in making it all turn out incredible). Katie now owns her FIRST "custom" outfit for Disney. As it is a pillowcase dress it should fit for a few years, and hopefully she'll get lots of wear out of it. (yes a photo is on it's way to the blog soon) It was quite funny though as something that turned out for practice, kept getting embellished until we have this dress that I could not have created on my own at all. For one thing, I don't have an embroidery machine. For another, my little tiny sewing machine could not do zig zag stithes OR handle seam with bias tape.

I think I'm going to be scoping out better machines (while drooling over my sister's).

4 comments:

LucisMomma said...

mI got a Janome last year--the most basic one they make (about $250? on sale at Hancock's). I love it. It adjusts the tension for you! My old machine was always messed up. Can't wait to see the pillowcase dress!

Cheri said...

If I ever get my butt in gear you should get your birthday surprise! LOL Don't you just love the pillow case dresses! Are you not excited that I brought them up? I can't wait to see it!

Denise said...

Just trying to play blog catch up a little bit. I did your China shopping to the best of my ability. Please send me your address so I can send it all to you!

Char said...

Oh, my dad has a FABULOUSLY DELICIOUS embroidery machine that is just totally amazing... it can embroider ANYTHING you scan into the machine. I suffer from severe jealousy-itus when I'm around and he's got the machine running. (By the way, can you believe my DAD has an embroidery machine???? And he's really not a pansy type of guy either. Seriously BIG, and MAN's man...) And then my mom has one of those ooooold manual sewing machines that you actually turn with your hand! haha. We LOVE doing crafty things together. Your get-together sounds like loads of fun.