Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Who saved them?

This has the potential to be controversial. It's one I hesitate to post, but it's something that I've been pondering for a long time now. Is it ME causing something good to happen or is it G*d causing something good to happen.

What if you were following a car, and were the witness to that car being in an accident. A TERRIBLE accident, so terrible the driver was near death. But, you had recently been through CPR, or were a doctor, or a nurse. You were "in the right place" to offer aid. Through YOUR actions, that person was saved. Did YOU save them? Or did G*d? If you believe it was you, and you had not been there...then that person would have died. If you believe it was G*d saving them, then you would have to believe that they would have survived without you there...possibly because G*d would have had someone else there.

What if, through your direct actions you were in the right spot at the right time to adopt YOUR child who needed medical care. Who needed medical intervention that you were able to provide (thinking of the twins who were hospitalized while in China), a little girl who was in desperate need of heart surgery, a little boy whose heart needed immediate intervention...what IF that were to happen to you? Did you SAVE your child? Or did G*d save the child through you? Do you think that had you made a different choice your child would have died in China? If so, then it was not G*d's plan that your child live, but if you believe it was G*d's plan that your child live...then HE would have had another family (or perhaps medical doctor or orphanage worker in China) step in and make the appropriate choices or provide a miracle healing.

After thinking about this, pondering this, I have come to believe that if/when I am in the place of being "in the right spot at the right time" that it is because I am being allowed to WITNESS firsthand the MIRACLE of a life being saved. If it is because I knew the Heimlich maneuver, or CPR, or some other reason then G*d just used me for HIS purpose.

If the miracle occurred because I adopted a child, I would not want that child to grow up hearing how LUCKY they were to be adopted by my family because we were able to provide their medical interventions. I would tell them that we wanted to adopt them to be a member of our family because G*d led me to that decision and we are GLAD they are my child. Their medical interventions are just a part of their story, not the main focus of it.

I think it all comes down to WHO you believe is truly in charge? G*d or yourself.

8 comments:

Jackie said...

God. God is the answer. YOU make your own luck. GOD helps those, who help themselves. We don't question what HIS plans are, for he has already made them for us.

GOD, led Katie to you and YOU to Katie.

Just like GOD led my boys to us and we to them. Especially Lucas. I had no idea WHAT his life would/could have been like 14 yrs later, had we NOT adopted him. We had no idea that his BM would be murdered 12 yrs after his birth....nor that his BF (totally unrelated incidents) would commit suicide 13 yrs after. NOW we know the answer. YES, GOD is in charge...We only pray and He answer's our prayers.

:-)

LunaMoonbeam said...

God. Definitely God.

Such a beautiful post!

Gina said...

I like the quote, "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" - Albert Einstein

Wife of the Pres. said...

God is in control. His ways are perfect. We are the problem. We, humankind, chose to sin. And then all of the yuck came into play.

This post is especially thought-provoking for me in light of what I know so far about our next adoption or to put it better, some of his personal history. It is very hard to process and to know how to handle it as the questions begin to come. This time around, I gotta be ready b/c they may come really quickly being that he is much older.

But going back to your post, WHO is in control? GOD IS. And He is so much bigger than the boxes we *think* we need to place around Him (even though we never could!)

Wendy said...

I believe God is ultimately in control but I think He uses circumstances and the choices we make to help save lives or make lives better. As a fire chaplain that has seen one too many situations go either way, sometimes it's hard to see God at work in a particular situation, especially the tragic ones.

I read a really great book by Harold Kushner called When Bad Things Happen to Good People. While I don't agree with everything that he wrote, it definitely changed my perspective of what I believe. It got me to think more about this subject. If you like to read (or even have time to read LOL) I highly recommend it.

LucisMomma said...

God is, definitely.

I tell all of my kids (bio and adopted) how glad I am that I get to be their mother. God put us together, and I hope and pray that we have long happy lives together. I don't know who would have gotten Luci had we not, but our lives are so rich with her. I know that we could have been matched up with so many others, but it's hard--no, it's impossible--to imagine it any other way.

Julie said...

God. God is in control... He was the one to place you in that place, so that you could help. He's the one who would have given you the talent/training/know-how to help.

We have to give God the glory!

a Tonggu Momma said...

I loved the book "The Problem With Pain" by CS Lewis. The husband and I both read it after our experiences with 9/11 (which was so personal to our family).

I believe that God is in control... I also believe that humans have free will. Bad things do happen to good people - God doesn't WANT it to happen, but ALLOWS it to happen, because love required is not the same as loving of your own free will.

It's like the problem with abandonment... do I feel that God WANTED the Tongginator to join our family? No, I don't. I believe He WANTED her to remain with her first family. But when life stepped in to change the course of her life, THEN God worked to orchestrate our family coming together. He chose us, but He would have chosen another family if we failed to step in.