Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them. - W. Clement Stone
In thinking about this quote I started thinking about my own life, and particularly how this will affect my children. Which led me to think about their personalities, and who they are.
While in China I remember telling Cheri that I felt like we were all given children with personalities and quirks that we were best able to handle. That something about the makeup of the parents' personalities fit in perfectly with what the child needed. With the boys it's something we just assume, they will have personality traits that match either myself or my husband.
But, really, is personality genetic? Or is it learned? Or is it a little bit of both. I mean, Katie could NOT have learned to be a grouchy grump first thing in the morning from ME on her first morning with us (she woke up JUST like I do and has continued to wake up like that). It was not learned from me, but is exactly like me. Is it a genetic thing, or is it learned from perhaps her foster parent?
When I was dreaming of my "perfect" daughter, I told my husband that I wanted a girl who would want to dress up like Cinderella but play sports against the boys and beat them....wearing her tiara in the mud. Can you see it? (another photographer I know) That link was the embodiment of what I wanted MY daughter to be like.
At our last post placement meeting with our social worker, I was asked about Katie's personality. When I mentioned that she was fit in perfectly with our family, with personality that meshed with the boys just as if she'd born to us. Our social worker commented that everyone feels that way.
Why is that? Why does everyone feel that way? Is it like voices, accents, talking, etc. that our kids can end up sounding just like us (yes Katie is going to have that lovely southern accent which is going to make learning Mandarin just that much harder). Is it because liking to play sports, or liking to watch NASCAR, or liking music, or liking games like spades or Monopoly, or any other thing that we consider part of the personality is environmental?
Will Katie be strong willed because of genetics or because of her environment? Will she be patient? Will she be honest? Will she be thoughtful? Will she be demure? Will she be an extrovert or introvert? Will she like science and math OR will she like the arts?
With the boys we sort of figured that they would be more science and math kids (with 2 "geeks" for parents did they even stand a chance?). But with Katie we don't know. It's actually kind of fun and interesting to see her develop her own interests and personality. I'm anxious and excited to see what and who she becomes as she grows.
But to be honest...she's the female version of our boys in likes, dislikes, personality traits, interests, and such. It's enough to make you go, "Hmmmmmm....."
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
It's funny, hubby talk about this all the time. Nature or nurture? We too feel our little gal fits into our craziness perfectly. Isn't it wonderful? :)
Cheers, Kiy
Speak for yourself. Heh.
LOL. No - seriously - I do feel some is learned and some is nurtured. The trick is embracing both the similarities and the differences that make them unique.
I wonder if that is something all adoptive parents wonder- it certainly has made me "go hmmm" since day one. My daughter is so much like me both physically and emotionally that I swear I gave birth to her.
I think it's probably a little of both... Nature and nurture.
What you said, "a girl who would want to dress up like Cinderella but play sports against the boys and beat them....wearing her tiara in the mud." ... Describes my Alicia to a T! *lol*
Luci fits in just right with us, too. It's hard to think of her as any other way than the way she is-- she is what we needed, too--we were expecting a 3 1/2 year old with major problems just because of what comes with older kids, and we got her at 9 1/2 months. WOW.
We also have our curriculum for next year. I got Teaching Texbooks for math for the boys--got all the years left that JT and Bryan will need, that is the new thing that we've never used before.
Post a Comment