Tuesday, May 26, 2009

3 Things

Okay, so you remember my big huge idea concerning a day of rest and my lightbulb moment. Yeah, sometimes it takes me a little bit. We're still going strong with that 24 hours thing, and loving it.

However, well, the other 6 days of the week are still just too busy and I've been struggling with THAT this year. 2008 was the day of rest, 2009 is the 6 days of the week are just too busy! I'm starting to see a pattern here - my life is BUSY. ;)

So, one day I was chatting with my sister (oooh, how we did not get along that great growing up but now, in the past year or so we chat at least once a week if not daily...and I LOOOOVE it). Anyway, I was complaining to her that my life is just too busy. I try to not overschedule things, but it happens anyway. She was agreeing, and then she said something.

"I try to not schedule more than 3 things to do in a single day."

Huh? What did you say? 3 things MAX in a day? What do you mean? It turns out that Sis has a friend who was reading a self-help book that recommended you only schedule 3 things max in a day (well I guess besides cooking, dishes, etc.). ;) That invariably something would come up and need to be added to that day, but trying to keep it to no more than 3 things would help free you up.

LIGHTBULB MOMENT!!!!

But then, it got better. You know those BIG plans we always get involved in (well I do at least), you know like hosting a baby shower for a friend that you know through another friend, like say through monthly Bunco nights? Yes? Well, you are asked to help host, and it's on a date that you don't currently have 3 things scheduled...GREAT you can help. But can you REALLY? What else is needed to help host? Invitations mailed out 6 weeks prior (or however earlier?)...look at your calendar THEN and see if you do have time to devote to picking out, creating, addressing, and mailing invites? Is it booked solid with other commitments? Yes? Then you do NOT have time to help host, it would stress you out too much.

LIGHTBULB MOMENT #2!!!!

I always, always, always forget about the prepping stages of things. ALWAYS.

Now, I'm working on not being so busy and I recognized something important. I have been trying to put all sorts of therapy appointments, doctor appointments, etc. on days we were already leaving the house. Well, it's no wonder I got so stressed on those days as I had 5 things scheduled on some days. Phew. I started moving things around as best as I could and things are going better. Still not great, but better.

Just a hint, I'm counting FAMILY TIME as a scheduled event now. It doesn't necessarily happen daily, but I try to get time in for playing with my kids. They are only this little once. If I have days where I need to do MAJOR chores, then those get scheduled into the "daily plan" as events. If I have a project with the school to do, it gets scheduled. I schedule specific days for "business" work.

I'm still busy, but I'm finding that more often I am less stressed because I have my life more under control...well at least it's an illusion of control. ;)

5 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

We are a three things a day family, too. I love moving more slowly through a hectic world.

mommy24treasures said...

sounds like you will somehow someway get to the less hectic life you are aiming for. You are on a mission:)

Cheri said...

Oh yeah, three is my limit! I really like to try to keep it around two but three is the max here.

I have been known to go over once in awhile.

Elizabeth Channel said...

Wow--it's really working? Once baseball season is over I'm getting back to this. Baseball has destroyed this concept for my family! Ugh!

LucisMomma said...

If there is already something (just ONE thing) on my calendar, I say NO. It has been a lifesaver. School does not count; it always goes on (except for some wednesdays). Nothing else gets planned on Sundays--it is just church.

Wednesdays is my only day when there is more than one thing--karate and library, then groceries (25 minute trip to town, don't want to waste it). Sometimes, but not always, we get some school in on Wednesdays.

I'm surprised that you said you forget about the pre-party stuff (your example) since you are such a planner (Disney W. for example, your military precision there is legendary!).