One really cute thing that has been discussed an nauseam in our home is the fact that MULTIPLE people can have the same name. This all started with a visit to my friend of the buttercup field. See, she has a daughter from China as well. Katie calls her "Wee-wee" which is sort of close if you know her actual name. So, one day I'm blog hopping and land on Mommy24Treasures page with her daughter Caitlyn (I think that's how she spells it). Katie jumps up and down with excitement and says, "Wee-wee!!!!" I gently break the news to her that it is NOT her friend but rather a little girl named Caitlyn. Katie juts out her chin, crosses her arms and says, "No. I Katie!" I explain that yes, she IS Katie but this little girl has the SAME name and that's really special. Katie insists that the little girl on that blog can NOT be her NAME because SHE owns Katie. She's rather emphatic about it too.
I was trying hard not to giggle, but it reminded me so much of a conversation I had with JM when he was really young. It was about favorite colors. It seems one day during swimming lessons the lifeguards were talking to the kids on the side of the pool waiting for their turn about favorite colors (these were all 3 and 4 year olds). Of the few kids on the side of the pool they all had different favorite colors. JM got in the van and told me that his favorite color was green (we went through a whole time period where he had to tell me this daily), that his friend B's favorite color was BLUE, and the lifeguard's favorite color was RED. He asked me what my favorite color was, and I told him that it was PURPLE. All was "well" in his ordered little world until Daddy came home and he asked Daddy what his favorite color was. Daddy replied, "It's RED." JM told him that it could not be RED because that was the lifeguard's favorite color. I believe that conversation lasted for a good 30 minutes, with JM never budging on his stance that multiple people could have the same favorite color.
Need I say that Katie claiming HER name as her own lasted a good 30 minutes? After feeling like I was banging my head against a brick wall, I chose to do what we did with JM and the favorite colors....I changed the subject and hoped that the next time we discussed the whole "name" thing that Katie will have matured to the point of understanding that multiple people can have the same name.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Katie's adorable. Unfortunately, we know seven Katies, so I think she may have a bit of trouble with that.
On the other hand... since only one in every 117,000 people have my first name in America, I might as well own the rights to it. Hee hee.
The only other person I ever met with my name (and spelling) was a male gas station attendant in Tennessee. No lie.
Funny! Luci has the same "problem," but at this point she thinks it's funny when people have the same names--it's not a source of frustration anymore. My boys never did that.
I, however, was always, "which Susan?" since there were many Susans everywhere in the '60s. You neve hear of little girls being named that now.
LOL...oh dear, the things I have to look forward to! Luckily, very few people have my daughter's name....oh, but she does share it with a rather popular Japanese cartoon character. *sigh*
And mine? Well, let's just say it's rare to meet a GIRL with my particular name. hehe
She is so cute , I remember going thru the same thing when I was little, when my mom named me Kristy in 67 she thought it was such a pretty UNCOMMON name, along with my sisters Kim and Kerry! NOT! But on the other side of that wheel our daughters name is Astrud and when she was younger she would get so disappointed that she could never find pencils with her name on it! But now she's over it, she likes being different. I really thought this was just the cutest post.
Love, Kristy
That is funny and so sweet! I think your strategy of changing the subject is the best way to go in those type of conversations!
Have a great week!
Janet
That's actually funny to me because I was always THRILLED to find someone with my actual real first name, especially if they spelled it the same.
Post a Comment