Thursday, March 19, 2009

Photography - Answers to a few questions

Why do I not use the 5d to shoot photos of my own kids. It's really too much of a camera to do that with. I use it when I'm shooting with a thought toward portraits of them, but it's heavier than the 30d. Cameras also have a shutter lifespan on them, and I don't want to use any "unnecessary" clicks on snapshots of the kids. I think on the 5d it's 200,000 clicks, on the 20d it's 100,000 clicks. But mainly, unless I'm consciously trying to get a portrait shot, I am taking more snapshots...and as such, the camera is more likely to get "beat up" a little. ;) It's more at risk at least. So, I use the 30d or the 20d.




A fixed aperture lens will have other apertures listed on the lens body, but the "name" of it will only have one aperture listed after the f/, such as 50mm f/1.8 or 85mm f/1.8. The variable aperture lenses will say, in the "title" of the lens when you are purchasing them f/3.5-5.6.



I use a point and shoot camera for most of my "capturing our life on a daily basis" type shots. Most of what I capture in the house, around the house, etc. does not need the full range of photo ability the slr gives me. Plus, it's usually rather handy and easy to locate.

2 comments:

Lizard said...

Hey there-

I've been thinking about getting more into photography. I have a BFA in printmaking from Baylor and I managed to never take 1 photography class!!

Right now I have a little Canon PowerShot SD800 IS. If I wanted to buy a used SLR to learn on what would you suggest??

Unknown said...

I attended the classes you taught at the ScrapbookIt Retreat. I have been so encouraged this week. I have read, word for word, half of my Canon Manual. I plan to continue next week. You did a wonderful job teaching, and it has given me so much to think about this week. I am not as fearful of the camera jargon, and my manual is beginning to make sense for the first time! Have a great weekend!