Friday, March 27, 2009

Finding the Light

That sounds...ermm...interesting huh?

Do you know WHERE to find great light for photos? Particularly those photos that will take on a more portrait look? Hint...BIG WINDOWS. Well, specifically NORTH facing windows, or at the very least windows that do NOT have sunlight streaming in creating hot spots. But what about other spots? You know, for when you are just tired of window lighting?

Your front door is a wonderful place. Huh? Have I lost my mind? Nope. Close all the blinds/window coverings in your home near the front door. Turn off all lights. Open the front door and put your little "darling" in the open door facing you (helps if they are angled at a 45 degree angle with the face turned toward you). You are, of course, OUTSIDE the house. Beautiful light with DARK background (well that's the idea anyway).

What? You don't have a "darling"...well, you do. My "darling" is a teddy bear. ;) It's what I used to learn lighting and positioning. He is still used when I shoot test shots, or even when I play around. I don't wear my "bribery shots" out on test shots. Nope. I wait until I have it all ready before I sit down my children in front of the camera. ;)

Another good location? Your garage.

Stick with me here...and yes, it means the garage needs to be somewhat cleaned out. Won't your husband be thrilled that you want to clean out the garage?! With the garage door open it allows LOTS of natural light to flood into the area and creates a wonderful soft light. Well, sort of as you might also need a reflector to bounce light back into the shadow side of the face. But I know for a fact that you will have some wonderful catchlights AND fairly fast shutter speeds with shooting in your garage. Just remember to at least put up a well ironed solid color sheet on the wall over the tools first.

Your front porch is a great place too if you have room. One house I was in had a GREAT front porch area. The 2nd...not so much. At least it didn't have a good pretty background area. My current house? In the morning I have some good light there, and will venture out soon to show it off.

So...in these first lovely spring days...venture forth and explore your home with your own "darling" and FIND THE LIGHT!

But I know some of you are saying, but what about when I'm at the PARK? How do I find the light there? I'll get to that. It's similar, but requires a little more awareness of where the sun is located. Now...with all locations, you might need a reflector! But that, my dear internets, is a lesson for another day as it requires some fun before and after shots.

3 comments:

LunaMoonbeam said...

What great tips! I think I'll be using these for the etsy shop - LOL

Jboo said...

Love your photography tips! Thanks! Got any tips for photos at DisneyWorl*d? Heading there soon! Have a great weekend!

Janet

Unknown said...

Enjoyed reading this photography tip. It basically covered the information from portions of your class in TN. My scribbled notes seem much more legible! Have a great weekend!
Tammy