Friday, March 13, 2009

Photography - Don’t forget yourself.

Pardon me while I get on my own little soapbox. I hear it all the time, "I don't want to be in the photo because I look so bad. I need to lose 10 more pounds. I didn't brush my hair. I don't have make up on. I am wearing my sweats and just back from the gym." I hear it all, both in sessions AND just taking snapshots at birthday parties and such.

Parents NEED to be in photos with their kids. Don’t worry about what you look like, how much weight you need to lose, that you don’t have make up on, or your hair is crazy. Or even that you don’t match your clothes. Your kids NEED to have photos of the real you. They need to have tangible memories just in case.

Family portraits should never be put off because I can tell you story after story that will break your heart of families who never expected something to happen…and then it was too late for a family portrait. Just do it. It’s a beautiful memory of how you look at this point in your child’s life. They know what you look like, and when they have children that are their current age…just think, how neat it would be to be able to look back and SEE what their parents looked like.

Think about your own parents. How many photos do you have of them? With the whole family? What about your grandparents? Great-grandparents?

When on vacation, please please please remember to give the camera to someone else and get photos of yourself on vacation. I remember looking at one vacation album and someone asked me if I had gone on that vacation or not? I was not in a single photo. On our recent vacation, the one with 910 photos? I was in 5-10, and I only got in those because my son was handed a camera. Less than 5 are of me facing the camera…one is of my rear. ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's always how it is with me, too. Plus, Alex takes such horrible photos of me....

Anonymous said...

I'm guilty of this. I really hate having my picture taken. My mother died when I was nine, and I have so few pictures of her. And someone in my family lost the majority of the ones we did have. So, I'll do the right thing, smile, and say, "Cheese!"

Anonymous said...

Oh! and it's BSG night! Thanks for commenting on my blog and answering my questions.

laurie said...

What sound advice. I hate to be in pictures but I have been trying to be better at getting in pictures. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

You are SO right in this. I've actually been trying to make more of an effort to get Hubs to take pics of me with Little Man. Usually I like to control the camera because Hubs just isn't good at it, but I need to let go of some of that control and realize that I can edit the pics and zoom etc, afterwards. Great reminder!

Anonymous said...

Just found your website off of Tongginator! Love your photos and your posts are well written!

Jesse, James and Lindsey's mom said...

I just have to comment. You are so right!!!! I have hundreds of photos of me with my kids and many of me with my oldest daughter. Some I look horrible..but for those that read this...take those photos..my oldest died at age 8 and I have them forever and I am so glad I do....God Bless and take pictures!!!!! It is so worth it!!!