Saturday, October 20, 2007

Karate Tournament!

Here is JM doing his Kata. He placed 2nd in his division (all those kids standing on the side of the blue box where he is doing the kata). It's 10M. I've got to figure out how to make these things smaller!



This is Samuel doing his Kata (same division as JM). He placed 3rd.



and finally, both did sparring. JM did not place, but he did do better. Although he did not win a match, he was against someone TOUGH. Very impressive to watch two young kids spar. JM did get kicked (with a padded foot) in the face. He kept going though. I was so proud of how he handled the frustration of not winning his match, being against someone who was so tough to spar against (that one ended up winning the sparring division), and cheering others on from his Dojo.

Samuel, on the other hand, was in a 4 person division. Just not that many kids that size and rank. :) Here's a short video of his first match. He won with the kick in this video. Watch closely, and you will see that foot stretch up high and get the other little boy in the side of the head. When the judges award him the points Samuel exclaims "I kicked him in the head!!" Sensei says "You sure did!" It was really cute. Guess I should say that Samuel is the one with his back to us in this video.

Okay, I promise we're not all into the "fighting" and such, but Karate has been great for our family. The discipline learned, the respect they are being taught, respect for other people and the respect for what they know now. They know they are not allowed to use the techniques they learn in karate outside of class unless they are being kidnapped, or "worse" which is what he tells the girls.

No comments: