Back in January I read a blog where the author was talking about having to sign up her son for summer camp, and I thought that it was EARLY. Turns out, you have to start signing up in January as the spots fill up quickly. Who knew.
So, I started researching summer camps for both cost, program, and location. There are so many choices, but I knew that I wanted to send JM to camp this year. I looked and looked and looked, and thought about asking friends but the only camps friends had gone to were not the kind I was looking for except for one friend who sent her twins to 8 weeks of summer camp last summer and I knew I was not quite ready for that.
I found it, and I hope it's going to be a good experience. It's almost 2 weeks of spend the night camp. While it's far from us, it's quite close to extended family (my grandparents, my parents, my aunts and uncles and cousins, and even some friends are all within 1.5 hours and some are less than 30 minutes away). It's run by a group Dh and I feel good about.
Yet, I'm nervous. I'm apprehensive. I'm worried about my "baby" who is almost bigger than I am. He's excited. He's thrilled to be going. He's ready to leave TOMORROW! Me? I'm worried about minor things, like will he fit in? Will he make friends? There are no electronics at all at the camp, and they play lots of sports (it's an all boys camp)....so what will our little "geek in training" talk about to the other kids?
I have to think this is NORMAL parental fears. But I know this experience is going to be awesome for him. He's an independent soul. He probably won't even miss me at all. It's for less time than our trip to China was, and by the sounds of things he's going to be much busier than he was during our trip to China.
So...anyone else out there planning on anything fun this summer you've already had to plan?
We've also signed up Samuel for his "camp" which is 1 week of day camp. I've thought about seeing if I could get Katie in the mother's day out program camp. We need to set up camping reservations, and check into renting a camper instead of making myself sleep in a tent again. ;) Then we have friends coming to visit (hopefully). Yes, summer is going to be just as busy as previous years!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oooh....your summer sounds great! We've got nothing but some sight-seeing trips around the East Coast - Baltimore, D.C., Newport...
JM will love the camp and I'm sure he'll do just fine. You wouldn't be a mommy if you didn't worry.
Yes, we are making plans for day camps and summer camps. We didn't have to do it as early as you though.
Oh and we are planning to travel and see some special friends this summer! ;)
Sounds like you have a fun summer planned! I remember when my oldest went to camp the first time -- I sent letters to him ahead of time, so he had one every single day. I thought I was so smart, but I think he actually got a bit embarrassed by getting a letter from home every day! Learned my lesson that year and the next only sent letters every other day!
Happy April 1st!
Janet
Well, I'm not ready for mine to stay over nigh at a camp yet...but we will do the Space Camp and stay with grandparents!
Post a Comment