I truly can NOT stand that phrase. Saving a person? I know it's personal choice, much like the use of GOTCHA, but for me..."Saving an orphan" is somewhat offensive. We didn't SAVE Katie. We didn't SAVE an orphan. We adopted a child. We promised to love her and cherish her, but we didn't save her. The phrase "Saving an Orphan" is more what I consider the thought of "I'm going to rescue this poor helpless little child who has no future except to grow up in this awful orphanage never knowing love and growing up to live in this country where the water is bad, the air quality stinks, they can't vacation to Disney, or wear nice clothes...and where they will never be able to know G*d. What a terrible life they would have had if it were not for me doing this wonderful work of adoption."
When I was growing up, we heard "Save the Whales!" and "SAVE the planet!" and "Save the Purple Spotted Beetle Bugs!" (Okay the last isn't real, but it seemed like everything we heard was save this thing or that thing.) I don't think of Katie in those terms. I don't think there was anything particularly terrible about her circumstances in China. I think, had she grown up in China, she would have led a happy life. I truly believe that. Even if she had only lived in the orphanage, who am I to say that her life there would have been worse than the life she has with us? Sure, knowing the love of a family is great. But in the end, will the love we give her be enough in her mind to overcome all that she has lost. I like to think it will, but only Katie will be able to answer that. Do material possessions matter? Do trips to fun places? Do all the opportunities we can give her? Or could it have been a matter of since she knew no other life? Only Katie can answer that question when she is older. I hope she feels like she has had a GOOD life, a HAPPY life despite being adopted, despite being removed from her birth culture, and despite all the wrong things we as her parents will possibly do in the future (like deny her that brand new car for her 16th birthday). So, really, it is only Katie who can possibly answer if our adoption of her was a good thing, or not. While I think it is, that is only from MY viewpoint. Not hers. When I think of all she lost I feel sad for her. I think about the things I take for granted, things that she will not...and I feel saddened by that because I can NOT fix it, or make it better. It is what it is, and I can only support Katie in any feelings she has about it, I can only support her in endeavors to learn things that should have been hers by birthright (and yes, that means we as a family WILL be taking Mandarin in the future).
So, did I SAVE her?
No. I changed the course of her life. I believe, after choices were made by her parents in China through their own free will (and well, governmental pressures as well), that she was then placed on a course for US to be able to adopt her and change HER life. Do I think it was for the better? I like to think we are able to give her a better life, but it is not necessarily true and again only Katie can answer that question for herself. Only Katie can answer whether or not her life was bettered by being adopted into an American family.
I think that there is a reason she was chosen to be OUR daughter, just like I believe that our sons were given to us to be our sons. I believe that our children have a "destiny" to fulfill, but I believe at this point in time there are several paths, several destinies ahead. Each has a purpose. Perhaps all are not wonderful, but I believe each path has a purpose. I try very hard NOT to put any pressure on my kids to be anything but HAPPY. If becoming a rocket scientist or an astronaut will make them happy, then great. But if they'll be happy becoming a gardener at the botanical gardens, then great too. However, they will all know that if being happy in their lives means still living with parents when they are 30, not working, and just playing video games or something...then...well...that is so not okay. ;)
I believe that G*d has a purpose for our lives, and He knows all the possible paths those lives will take. But I also believe that He has given us FREE WILL to choose those paths. It was through the CHOICES we made, CHOICES Katie's parents in China made, and CHOICES that were made on her behalf in China that led us to become family. I believe that had other choices been made, our daughter might not be the Katie we know and love today...but rather someone else equally special. I believe that we as her parents were chosen to be her parents because we are able to give/do/be something to her that she will need in the future (just the same as I believe for our boys).
I stumble across so many people who vehemently deny that they "Saved an Orphan" but in reading and talking to them, it is apparent to me that perhaps they actually think in those terms. They make comments about how much better their lives are here with them, how much of a brighter future they have now, how lucky the child is that the parents decided to ADOPT...and it all leaves me feeling kind of sick inside. They talk in front of their daughters (and sons!) about how wonderful of people they are because they went to China and adopted those poor unfortunate souls who live in orphanages. Their negativity toward China in front of their children astounds me. I truly think, that had Katie stayed in China that she probably would have had a wonderful life as well. There is a reason she became our daughter, and I am looking forward to living life with her and watching her become the person she will become.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
We have just started using Rosetta Stone for Spanish, and love it. I'll eventually get the Mandarin version, too. You can get the homeschool version, and it gives you a grade for each lesson.
I guess what bothers me is when some people say "Won't you concider saving an orphan - Adopt." Why can't it be about expanding your family with adoption instead of "saving an orphan"?
I don't think a child will want to be looked at like a charity case. I do believe that as children grow up they will feel this way if they've heard this phrase enough.
I too do not use the term Gotcha Day. I either use Lia's Day or Metcha Day.
Wonderful post! ... It really makes you stop and think. :)
Oh I am so with you... I have people saying that I am doing this MAJOR favour to Shauna by adopting her... no, if you ask me... she is doing the favour for us... by coming into our family. I don't like the who 'saving' thing... to me, we are getting Shauna because we want her and if by some of the things we show/teach Shauna helps 'change' her life for the better then great... and I hate it when people think that I am a 'martyr' oh I hate that... I am not doing this to 'save' anyone...
Oh... and something else... though we don't have Shauna as yet... I never 'bag' China, the CCAA or anyone... sure, it maybe taking forever but it is like you said... that in China she may have had a great life and hoping that being in the US she will get a better life too... it is for the child decide but as much as I may not agree with some of the things that China does... I will never put her 'homeland' down and certainly not in front of her... when she is able to understand it, she can learn it for herself and make her own decisions on it... I appreciate the fact that this country is allowing me to look after one of their 'children' as my own...
Adding to the conversation--you've made me think a lot this week. We have said gotcha day but now call it "family day" because it is infinitely more appropriate. We (me more so that John, by far, I'm sure) wanted to add to our family after losing a baby through miscarriage. We really really wanted to add to our family...and those little old ladies in Guizhou who *knew* what it was like in the place Luci came from kept saying "lucky baby" and each time we'd say "lucky US." I do know that the orphans from her orphanage did get a surname that was a "real name" and not one that immediately tagged her as orphan, so that was a good thing. Easier life here, yes. But separated from her country. Maybe she'll go back in some capacity, I don't know. I do know that she'll meet Jesus here and that was iffy there. So that's a very good thing. I do grieve for what she's lost, and for her mother and father.
The other day we were having some portraits made and the boys were picking on Luci and she was getting irritated (got some shots of that, too!). I told the mom (who also has a daughter from China) that Luci isn't adopted anymore--she's just "sister." She is OURS, in all of our hearts just as much as if we'd been able to have her ourselves.
I don't want her to have any more burden on her than she already has, being who she is and where she came from. The burden of people wanting you to feel grateful for what they've done is too heavy. We also just want Luci to be happy, to know she is loved beyond words.
sorry this was so long. Some things I can't touch on my blog because it would hurt my parents (I'm not adopted). The subject of attachment is so full of charge and this subject revolves around it, for me. I'm glad that Luci knows she has someone who adores her here (dad and mom) and she didn't have that in the orphanage. Very lonely.
I have thought a lot about my comment. You mentioned that Katie's life might have been just as good had she stayed in the orphanage, but wasn't Katie in a foster home? I'm just saying b/c S was in the orphanage and she was DYING. Maybe that is better than living? They did not do all they could to help our little girl and that does still make me angry. They had received offers from respected orgs. to help children like her, and that is hard to accept that they would refuse that. Heart disease is not a painless disease. She suffered a lot.
HOWEVER, the C**A I believe does care and was appalled at what they saw. And as for China, I LOVE China and its people. We had to send an update to C**A right after we came home b/c they requested it. I was grateful they did, and I thanked them again for allowing us to adopt S as our daughter. I agree that S will have to decide and process what has happened in her life. Do I think we saved her? Absolutely not. I do believe without a doubt God saved her physically and I pray every day she will accept his saving grace, but that is her choice to make. Do I think it goes against her birth country's faith. NOPE. God's grace is for all people in the world, and her birthcountry is FULL of Christians. I happen to have met some wonderful Christians in China through our journey to S.
I guess in the end everyone has their opinions but I found the title of your post offensive. It seemed a bit angry to me, but maybe I am reading too much into it. I have no doubts that S most likely would have died, but I also have no doubt that God could have chosen to save her life in any way He chose whether that was by allowing our family to get the blessing of her or He could have definitely chosen another family or path for her life. We feel blessed beyond measure that He chose us and she is a gift for sure not a charity case. I don't see her any differently than our boys by birth--all a "gift from the Lord" as God's Word says. I believe that with all my heart.
"The burden of people wanting you to feel grateful for what they've done is too heavy." Way better stated than my "charity case". Thank you for writting what I meant too. :)
oops! I am not Parasite--that's my son's wacky screen name (not one I would choose, for sure!) Sorry!
Susan W, aka LucisMomma
Woman, you still have me thinkin'. lol!
Every once in a while DH and I will be watching Luci and exchange looks--and say, "getting Luci is the best thing we've ever done." That covers a lot. Best because it was a good thing for her. Best because wow, we really needed her sunshine here. Best, because after losing a baby in miscarriage, I really had a hole in my heart. Best, because we really couldn't afford all of this, and it was a leap of faith. Best, because even though I had such a deep hole, it was mostly a selfless act.
Post a Comment