Thursday, April 09, 2009

How are you going to teach Calculus?!



This one is always laughable to me. Especially because I was asked this question when my oldest was being homeschooled for Kindergarten.

I ask you WHEN would Calculus be taught? So, think about that one for a moment. I was teaching Kindergarten. I had such a smart aleck response too, especially as I could teach calculus in a school if I really wanted to.

But I know that in reality they were actually asking about how I was going to handle homeschooling in the later years when the subjects were not so easy to teach. When, perhaps I didn't know about that subject. I knew that I needed to answer this in the way they need answered.

When I get to the point, IF I get to the point, where the kids are taking a subject I know NOTHING about. Then, yes, then I will seek out classes for them. Through the local community college, through tutoring centers, and yes, through classes through our cover school! Classes such as marine biology, or introduction to early British literature, or even a class solely on the study of Shakespeare.

But sometimes, oh sometimes you will run into this really "bright bulb" and you'll get the question while you are teaching early Elementary about how can you TEACH those grades!!! I honestly do not think that they are implying you are an idiot, but yes, sometimes I wonder if people think I'm qualified to teach colors, or simple addition, or even read history to my children.

Tomorrow's post is on photoshop, specifically how to "move" or "add" something to a photo that needs help. ;) I took the kids to the gardens last week to look at evidence that spring was actually here. It's not the EASIEST lesson, but it's one I do the most of, and one that I think others will want to know as well.


It's not heavy on photos of the boys, actually it's just Katie...and while it's lots of photos, it's lots of screen shots of me working on ONE photo. So, be on the lookout in future posts for photos of the boys, kids, and Katie from our trip to the gardens.

4 comments:

Bobbi said...

Hi Carla! I've enjoyed reading your posts about homeschooling. I definitely don't think its for everyone, but I'm glad to hear it is working for your family.

I have to laugh with today's topic.... You ARE qualified to teach calculus! I don't know if you remember, but both of my parents are public school teachers. My mom teaches kinder and my dad teaches high school ESL. Did you know the state of Arizona is so hard up for "well qualified" teachers, that there are math teachers at my dad's school that haven't taken more than Algebra 1 at the college level. Thankfully, these people aren't teaching more than remedial math to students, but still... there is definitely a room for improvement in our country's school system.

Looking forward to tomorrow's lesson. I always need pointers on making my pictures better! I am ready to LEARN. ;)

Carla said...

LOL RainyLakeChick...it tooke me FOREVER to put it together who you were! Yes, you would know just how qualified I am to teach calculus! :) Phew....need your email, but I could always just send you a message on facebook.

Julie said...

Well, if it came to calculus, I couldn't teach it... I never took it in high school... When the kids get that age, I'll have to see about the community college in Oregon City. *lol*

LucisMomma said...

I love these posts. A little comment on the previous post, tonight at soccer practice, Luci was asked to take a snack and pass it. No dice! She wouldn't let go until I made her.

I have my teaching degree and I get the "oh it must be so easy for you to h.s." ...it does not help one bit. And come to think of it, it didn't prepare me to teach in a classroom, either--that was an inborn trait, came naturally. I *needed* classes on crowd control and how to deal with unruly kids (and their indifferent parents).