So, when you move into a brand new home (as in you picked out colors, carpet, brick color, siding color, the whole shebang and watched it be built), you also have to be prepared for "quirky" things. Someone else has not ever lived in this house, and so the kinks have to worked out by you. It's why most newly built homes have a 1 year warranty. ;) I'm pretty "go with the flow" on the house stuff.
To lead into this, I must start with..."we had rain."
That's almost like Noah telling his grandchild, "then it rained."
As in, yesterday we got an "official" 1.43 inches of rain, bringing our total for the month to 7.5 inches. To put that in perspective, I think we got 7.5 inches in 6 months last year...if that. Most of our monthly "averages" for rainfall are around 1.5 inches. Yeah. IT RAINED.
It rained Wednesday and Thursday pretty much NON-STOP, if you count the drizzly misting rain we had sporadically. Tuesday night I did not sleep in our bed, I fell asleep on the couch. I was reading an awesome fluffy romance novel and could not put it down. 3am rolls around and I finish and just go to sleep there on the couch. Not to mention, I had 3 under the bed boxes stacked by my side of the bed, the contents of another box at the foot of the bed, and not a great way to get IN bed other than this one spot that was the width of my foot.
Wednesday night I decided I really should sleep in my bed, and did so. Thursday morning I crawled out of the foot of the bed to go get Katie and bring her back to bed with me. Remember that 3am night Tuesday night? Yeah. So, Katie wakes up around 8:30 and the boys get up around 9am. Sometime in there I decide I really should get up with the kids. I sit up, and instead of crawling out the foot of the bed I place my foot in the one spot on my side of the bed that it could go. I stand up.
SQUISH! Water pools up over my toes.
Now, my first thought is "What in the heck did Katie spill?!"
Then I took another step. "SQUISH!!"
My brain started working here and I realized that this could NOT be a Katie spill. Then I realized it was coming out from under our WOOD furniture. Yeah...the pieces of wood furniture piled up with table top picture frames, books, Bibles, artwork, etc.
LOVELY. I start the phone call process of trying to deal with this, while keeping Katie out of it. I move stuff. I move furniture. I listen to it rain some more. I walk in the rain and check and can't see a puddle (freshly sodded dormant grass squares hide a lot of drainage issues). I talk to the warranty people. I meet a warranty guy to look at the problem. I check the water meter when all water is NOT running in the house (it wasn't spinning so doubtful it was a leak).
Now, to give you a heads up. We live in a two story house. Our bedroom is on the bottom floor on a slab foundation. The wet spot was ON THE FIRST FLOOR.
They had the roofers come out to check for a roof leak. Yeah...2 floors and the ONLY spot that is wet is on the floor?! Roofers confirmed that the spot in our carpet was NOT caused by a roof leak, but they did find another leak and fixed it.
Friday the warranty inspector guy came back out and took off the baseboards/toe kick of the cabinets to verify there was NOT a leak from the pipes and plumbing. There was not. The carpet people came out and started the process of removing/repairing the carpet. The carpet people were the ones to suggest that it was a drainage related issue from outside as they have seen this kind of "wet spot" before...granted not quite as big, but we did get a LOT of rain.
That's the water in my carpet story. Just another adventure of moving into a new home. :) Also the reason our master bedroom will NOT be "settled" until after Christmas now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Good Grief! Well, one bright side is if you didn't like your carpet choice you can choose a new one!!
Hopefully they will sovle the problem.
Hugs,
Carla
Oh no that is no fun! Glad it's in warrenty though. I hope you can stay dry soon!
Ooo yuck!! Glad they found the leak!
Man! What a pain! ... Joe would have gone through the roof!
The water that got into our basement over the years turned out to be just bad gutters on the story above. So make sure the gutters go all the way around and are not blocked. It was so simple, but we didn't know what caused it!
John tried the wordpress blog, it is blocked, too. Thanks so much for suggesting it. You're a doll! But he can watch youtube, I would have thought they'd block that, too. I'll do the kodak easyshare thing and youtube.
Post a Comment