Wednesday, March 21, 2007

My Spring Reading Book List



Okay, I guess here is where I admit my addiction. I adore fluffy romance novels. Especially historical ones, and even MORE especially (is that even proper grammar?) those historical ones set in Regency England, or set anytime prior to 1900 in Scotland. I do enjoy a good time travel book, as long as the time traveler goes to said period that I am thoroughly enjoying obsessed with.

I was not always this way, prior to turning that magical age of 16 when Mom decided I was old enough for my first Harlequin, I devoured many great books. I have read all of Lousia May Alcott's Little Women series (absolutely adore them). I've read, and enjoyed, the great classics from the Bronte sisters. I even started reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. I didn't really care for it though.

Now, my list may seem, well, rather long. But I read fast. Okay, I read fast before kids, now it might actually take me more than a day to get through a book only because my reading time is at night. You know after those little monsters heathens angels are in bed. It all started in 5th grade. My 5th grade reading teacher Mrs. B gave my class the honor of doing 50 book reports in 1 school year. Okay, so most of the class did not feel like this was an honor. She told us that the first one to finish would get a surprise. The challenge was on! I remember my first one submitted was for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and she told me that 7 pages was too long for a book report. I needed to narrow down my enthusiasm for a book to no more than 2 pages. It was tough, but I managed to for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I almost had to go to 3 pages for Little Women. But, I persevered and in January I turned in my last 5 book reports (that Christmas break provided good reading time). Yes, I managed to complete 50 books from mid-August to early January. My friend Sarah told me I was an overachiever. I still disagree with her. ;) I think I shocked Mrs. B. I never got a surprise, and I do not remember her mentioning the book reports much past that point either.

I told you that story so that my list of books did not seem, um, well too shocking. I really have no idea how many books I will read from March 21st through June 21st, but I have some I do want to read. I'm declaring MY RIGHT as the blogger here, to add to the list any an all books I complete (even if they are pure fluffy ooey gooey historical romance novels). ;)

Disclaimer! These are in no particular order, just as the titles popped into my head.

1. The Starbucks Experience
2. The Little Red Book of Selling
3. Passages from the Heart
4. Bridge to Terabithia (to the kids)
5. Harry Potter 1 (to the oldest)
6. Harry Potter 2 (to the oldest)
7. Harry Potter 3 (to the oldest)
8. Harry Potter 4 (to the oldest...oh heck, who am I kidding, I want to reread)
9. Harry Potter 5
10. Harry Potter 6 (yes in preparation for book 7 which I have on pre-order)
11. Joy Luck Club
12. Kitchen God's Wife
13. Paper Daughter
14. Fox in Sox (out loud to 4 year old...ugh)
15. Financial Peace
16. Treasure Island (with kids)
17.

I am hoping to get my oldest to add his own list. While he is in 2nd grade currently, I do plan to give him the wonderful assignment of 50 book reports in a single school year when he is in 5th grade. Hopefully it will further increase his love of reading. Yes, I'm fully prepared for book reports on World War 2. Did I tell you all about the book he chose? FOR PLEASURE?! DK World War II book Obviously he's not entirely my child. Here is his other favorite book of the moment. At least I think it is, I could not find it in his room and I suspect he might have snuck it out to read on a fun-filled trip with the church group (all Dads and boys). Yeah, that would be MY genes coming out. I admit to that. I did take 3 books to Disney World. Yes I completely read 2 of them, and had the 3rd started. Yes, they were fluffy historical romance novels. At least I'm consistent!

15 comments:

TaunaLen said...

This is a great list!

~TaunaLen

Karen said...

A woman after my own heart! You and I would have given each other a run for our money if we'd been in 5th grade together. :)

The only thing that should keep me from completing my challenge list is if I'm not able to get my hands on the 3 or 4 books I don't already have here. I've already finished one book (read the whole thing before bed last night, staying up until after midnight to finish it).

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Great list! And I loved reading about your reading background, especially the book report story! I keep seeing Harry Potter pop up on lists and I know I need to re-read or at least re-skim the first 6 before the 7th comes out. Thanks for being part of the challenge. Enjoy all that reading!

Deena Peterson said...

Great list! Too bad HP 7 doesn't come out until July...but just in time for my birthday:-)

Katie said...

Have you read Fox in Socks 500 times yet? For us it was Green Eggs and Ham.
Amy Tan is great, have you read The Bonesetter's Daughter? It's good too

Becky said...

I loved reading your story. I too am a fast reader. Always have been, always will be. Nothing makes me happier than staying up late at night with a GREAT book. And I've been called much worse than an overachiever!!!

Nise' said...

Another fast reader here. During pool season, I can read 2-3 books a day since someone MUST sit outside and watch over the pool whether anyone is in it or not! It's a rule. LOL. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Great list! I'm a fast reader too, well I used to be ;) Good luck & happy reading! =)

Beckyb said...

LOVE your blog and had to say hello - I am also a fellow BOOK-LOVER and an adoptive mom - I will be back - I added you to my Bloglines just to make sure!!!!

alisonwonderland said...

great list - and great background story! i have a 2nd-grade son who has a favorite science encyclopedia book! for a while i feared he wasn't going to be a reader (unlike his older sisters), but i think his tastes are just different.

Susanne said...

Loved reading your back story! A girl after my own heart! Happy reading. Love how a lot of them are being read along with your kids. That's wonderful!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I loved reading the explanation, too, but you know you don't have to explain your choices to us fellow bookworms.

Lex said...

Great list! I'm a fast reader too. My oldest is in grade 2 as well and he loves to read! He is into Hardy Boys Files right now... 6-8 of them a week and has about 2 or three going, between here and school. what a blessing it is to pass the love of reading down to our children! Happy Reading!!!

Carla said...

Thanks everyone! I feel so special now. :)

I had not thought of Hardy Boys for my 8 year old, I wonder if he'd like them? I see a library run this week!

Anonymous said...

HP is a great read aloud! I started the series with my oldest 7 years ago, when he was 7 and I have re-read them with my dd, and am now re-reading them again in prep for the new release (I also have the pre-order and a standing point that since I pay for the book, I get to read it first.)

I really want to read the Joy luck club. never saw the movie but the storyline intrigues me.