Friday, January 26, 2007

It's a silent war

But it's quite smelly (at least it gets that way each week). Dh and I play this out every single week. It's the War of Household Chores, with particular emphasis on the skirmish of the Litter Box. You'd think one of us would learn, or at least admit defeat and keep it from starting. But, honestly, it's one of those chores. One of the chores that neither of wants to do.


Yes, it's a smelly job. It's a nasty job. I even bought Dh rubber gloves to wear! We have the Litter Maid so there is really minimal scooping involved IF you stay on top of things. Which means that ideally the litter box tray would be emptied ever 2 days or so. It could probably make it every 3 days if you shook it once since the cat only seems to be able to do his it's business in one spot. (He's an it now and has been for close to 11 years)

This cat is Dh's cat. He picked him it out. He took care of all feeding and all litter box duty for at least a year before we got married. Dh even took care of the litter box duty for a good portion of the first years of our marriage (he loves me and the kids that much). But you see, it's now become...well...who can outlast the other. I have the super sensitive nose, he does not. He literally can not smell the knock you down and make you gag smells that I do.

Currently we're at a stalemate. He's not cleaning the litter box. I'm sleeping on the sofa. Since AF is visiting, there doesn't seem to be any incentive for Dh to clean the litter box. I know what is coming, it's happened before. I'm going to break down and clean it because the smell is getting too bad.

How bad is it really? None of my friends who come over can smell the litter box. Only I can. But then again, my friends aren't going into our bedroom, because they really have no NEED to go into the master bedroom. So, honestly, Dh doesn't think it is a problem. Once HE can smell it, then it will be cleaned. I think at this point it's time for the actual Litter Maid to be scrubbed with bleach again (which of course is MY job).

Now, the other "skirmishes" in the house involve the kitchen, the bathrooms, and the laundry. Which reminds me that I need to go hide the laundry basket full of clean unmatched socks before the piano tuner gets here (matching socks is one of the least favorite chores of our house, and I think Dh actually prefers cleaning that litter box to matching socks).

No comments: