Remember that line from Cars? I remember laughing at it, then we got a GPS. I was thinking, WHY in the heck would you need a map? How in the HECK can you get lost when you have a GPS.
Um, driving on mountain roads it's quite easy to get lost. Only, I DID know where I was, and I would turn around when it started looking a little too weird. But that GPS was certainly all messed up. It sent me down a dead end road. Yes, I went, just on the off chance that there was a bridge connecting me to the bigger road across the creek. As my brother was rolling around the back of the laughing his head off at me, I turned around in someone's driveway/parking lot. Drove BACK over the extremely tiny narrow road (it was hardly wide enough for the mini-van).
I even tried following this one road that went up and over the mountain until it got too scary (which happened soon after we saw the dead snake in the middle of the 1.5 lane road). Or it might have been the absence of guardrails on the extremely curvy road. My brother's girlfriend was trying her best to contain her laughter at this point.
See, it started because I was following the GPS. It said we'd there by 4:28pm (back to the campground that is) if we followed it's route. It's route took us WAY north, then back down. Little brother had a map. He told me turn on 416 and it would put us out right there at the campground, no need to travel UP and back down. No need to drive through Cosby again. Knowing that the GPS tries to stick to main roads, and this 416 road was a 35mph "main" road through the mountains. I thought it might be faster to take that route (yes, sometimes the GPS doesn't take you the fastest route).
I made the turn for 416, then the GPS freaked out a little trying to get us to turn around. I had to ignore it's directions for awhile, then it seemed to accept the fact we were not taking the other route. I had me follow 416 for a little bit, then turn left. I turned left. Little brother yelled at me that I turned off of 416. But see, I was trusting the GPS.
The GPS was wrong. It was confused. Those twisty curvy mountain roads did a number on it.
I finally turned around, took the road Little Brother told me to take, and we eventually got there at 4:48ish. 20 minutes later than the original time GPS had for us. Either trust the GPS or don't, that's what I learned. I also learned that the minivans in Cars who were trusting their GPS weren't so far off afterall. Okay, I think I would notice if I were driving through desert not on roads...but still, it's not so hard to get lost if you have a GPS. The good thing is if you use common sense and stick with main roads, that GPS will get you there. :)
Unfortunately, the entire point of trying to get to the campground faster is because I had to go potty REALLY REALLY REALLY badly. I made it, but dang it was iffy there at the end. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment