Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I survived.

Tent camping that is.

Yes, my boys asked (no read pleaded) with me to go tent camping. I caved in to their cajoling, and we went over Memorial Day Weekend. Where? To the Great Smokey Mountains (and Gatlinburg). We ended up meeting my sister, brother-in-law, 2 nephews, my parents, my brother, and his girlfriend. Yes, we had 12 people, 8 adults and 4 little boys.

Lessons I learned:
1. It gets REALLY dark at night, and a campfire is really not enough illumination to see the picnic table by.
2. It gets REALLY cold at night, and snuggling with dh is not always warm enough. He can only take care of one side at a time, unless I want to be flattened in which case the air bed beneath me was still cold...thus really only one side at a time truly.
3. Juice boxes in tents are not a good thing.
4. You really should listen to Mom when she mentions checking the area you are putting a tent down for rocks that poke up. Even if you are sleeping on air beds. You still have to WALK on the tent floor.
5. Crocs are good for community showers.
6. Hotdogs cooked over open flame do taste better than those grilled over charcoal. Yes they do!
7. Myth busters was right, ice water does cool things down faster than just ice.
8. Myth busters did not mention that ice water and "plastic" cheese do not mix well. Even if plastic cheese is still wrapped in original wrappers.
9. Pay close attention to where rocks, lines to tie down the tent, and steps are during the day so trips to the bathroom at night are not so eventful.
10. Crawdads are gross looking.

Yes, I will go back camping with the boys. I will go better armed though. Lights for my screened house for the picnic table, mag lite for walking with, more bug spray, citronella candles, cooking supplies, and dry ice for that plastic cheese.

More stories from this weekend to come. Aren't you looking forward to that?!

No comments: