Okay, I hope I gave you enough time to absorb the ISO/Aperture/SS individually. I think a few started to see how they all connect, and relate to one another. As I was studying, I read about an illustration that can give you a picture in your mind for this.
Picture a bucket of water and water faucet.
The water is the light. The bucket is the film/digital sensor.
The water faucet opening is the aperture.
The flow of water (the length of time it flows) is the shutter speed.
Let's say you have a medium size bucket (ISO400), and you have an average open (aperture 8.0), and your water flows into the bucket for an "average" time. If you were to make your bucket larger and keep filling it from the same faucet, then obviously you will need to keep the water flowing longer (you have a longer shutter speed). However, if you make your bucket larger, and then you move to a LARGER opening faucet, then your water flow would not need to increase (it might even need to decrease depending on how much things changed).
Likewise, if you made the bucket REALLY big and then moved to fill it up from a water hose (itty bitty opening), then you would need to keep the water flowing for a LONG time.
The "math" of it is, if you double the size of your bucket and keep the faucet the same, you need to double the water flow length. If you keep the same bucket, but double the faucet, you need to halve the amount of time the water flows.
Is that clear as mud? Visualize it...it might help. Or I could have just totally and completely confused you.
That's the "review" and "recap" of the first lessons.
I'm going to stop focusing on the "shooting in manual" modes for the most part from this point on. I will probably mention it at some point though. IF you have any questions, please let me know. I'm available by email (and with prior contact, by phone).
Photoshop, DOF, lens discussion, how to get catchlights, best places in your house for finding the light, and tips or tricks. ;)
Sunday, February 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
It has taken me a long time to learn what I have but when I do pop over and see a little 'lesson' and you put it into simple terms... I start to 'get it'... I am one who learns on their own and once the light bulb goes on I wonder why it took so long... I am getting SO obsessed with photography right now...
it took me a while, but i'm starting to get the water bucket, hose, etc. 1 question, how in the world does everyone get their pictures to post so big? i don't size them down, and i select "large" when uploading, but they're still small. =(
Post a Comment