Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Parenting adventures

Okay, I'm not sure if we responded correctly or not to this parenting moment last night. S-, our youngest, is almost 4. We've been in the throes of potty-training for 2 years, and while I'm happy to say he's 100% day trained it is the night-time we're struggling with. Of course it could be the water we give him when we put him to bed, but he's a bed-wetter. He sleeps so deeply and soundly that he doesn't wake up when he's wet either (well most of the time). So, we just aren't forcing the issue, he'll do it eventually. He's in pull-ups or diapers for now at night. JM never had this problem, he night trained at the same time he day trained.

Last night, we forgot the pull-up. Around midnight we hear a noise from his room. I immediately remember the pull-up. OOps. Dh finds him in the bathroom trying to pee while half-asleep (he got my non-waking up ability). ;) His clothes were soaked (he didn't pull them down...poor thing was still asleep). The stool was soaked. His bed was wet of course. So, I find new clothes (and the pull-up). Dh cleans him up. We dress him. Then, we take him to bed with us. You should have seen the smile he gave us. Totally "cat that ate the canary" look. He was so happy to get to sleep in Mommy and Daddy's bed. It felt like we were rewarding him for wetting the bed. Were we? Possibly. I don't want to punish him for that though, since he IS trying. Hey, he woke up last night at least. ;) His bed was wet, so what else do we do?

Ah well. He was happy to snuggle with Mom and Dad last night (and kick us in the back, steal our pillows, turn in circles, kick off the covers then huddle as close as possible to us...).

I thought last night...wonder what action each of the "philosophies" in parenting would have responded with that situation? LOL And this, folks, is why I have insomnia. I start thinking of things like this and have trouble drifting off to sleep (or it could have been the little foot in my side).

Then, JM, our oldest. LOL On the way home from music camp this week he tells me something important. "I forgot how to do it. Wanna know what I forgot how to do? Mom, wanna know?" I didn't respond...he'd been talking non-stop and I knew no response was necessary. Even if I said, "No I don't want to know" he'd tell me anyway. 7 year olds are like that. After a silence of 1 minute (at the most), JM piped up, "I forgot how to do armpit farts." Yes, I guess that is important to a 7 year old.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I never could do armpit farts! Never really tried though, so yeah I guess that's a boy thing, too funny!
You should see our bedroom, at night (even though Lily does not wet the bed, have not started really trying with Madilyn yet) they still wake up during the night, and where do they go, into our bed. At this point DH sleeps next to the bed on the twin mattress we have placed there on the floor a couple months ago. At least he does not get kicked in the face. I surely hope they will start sleeping longer before the new one, if not Matt may just have to go elsewhere. Sad huh?