I had to take Katie in to the pediatrician today due to her loving on those aquarium tanks over the weekend. Seems she picked up a cold, only she's now had it for 5 days. The last day she started running a fever, and since it's been a few years since I had to deal with fevers in little bitty ones I called the doc. The triage nurse told me that I had to bring her in since she'd been sick for a few days THEN started running a fever. Classic sign of secondary infection, like ear infection, going on. Great. I didn't want to take her in as that place is full of really sick kids...with you know THE FLU! Actually based on what I saw there today I think we're finally coming off the peak of the season for our area. Less than half were there with the flu.
Turns out Katie only has a cold. The doc wasn't thrilled with the triage nurse since I had now exposed Katie to the flu (I'm hoping that our dash through the sick waiting room from the hallway minimized the exposure).
While we were there Dr. E asked me about the boys. "How are they doing?" So, I explained to him that they had had that chest congestion cold about 2 weeks ago. JM was all better but Samuel had had to go to his Asthma doctor (I chose the asthma doc over the ped because the asthma doc is less likely to have flu cases running around). ;) Seriously, Samuel was not running fevers, no snotty nose, just that out of control cough. I told the pediatrician that the asthma doc said Samuel had "asthmatic bronchitis" and put him on an antibiotic, cough suppressant, and steroid. Dr. E asked if he was doing better. I told him that yes, he was. He was bouncing off the walls...literally. Dr. E's response? "that steroid kicked in huh?" Oh yes it did. Dr. E did ask a few more questions, and he's comfortable with what all Samuel is doing...breathing wise and medicine wise. I told him Samuel had the same cold as Katie but kicked it quickly. Guess that regime of meds is keeping him from developing more asthma problems from that cold.
So, now we wait to see if Katie picked up something else from the doctor's office. 4-7 days and we should know. Right? I'm hopeful we minimized our exposures to all the nasty germs floating around our town at the moment.
I've never been more ready for spring in my life! It's been 18 days of sickness here in our house. Doesn't that make you want to come visit? It's only really been colds, but 18 days worth of it. Bouncing from child to child to adult to child and back again.
I'm glad Samuel can breathe again...but man that hyperness is driving us all crazy. I think I'm going to send in a treat for his teacher tomorrow...she'll deserve something for dealing with him. He's not bad...just...well..BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS. I personally think it's a combination of being able to breathe again and the steroid working. Lots and lots of energy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I hope everyone is all better SOON. Luci seemed to catch everything that first year home. I hope Katie isn't like that!
The pics from Atlanta are so cute, and the party welcoming Katie home looks like it was a lot of fun. (love the valentine thingy on her head!)
susan
Post a Comment